8 Twin Cities Winter Date Spots That Won't Break The Bank

Take advantage of what this winter has to offer.

179
Southwest Journal

Winters in the Twin Cities don’t necessarily have to mean staying cooped up in the house with a movie (although sometimes when the windchill temperature gets in the negatives that may seem like a great option). It can be hard to find date spots that seem both fun and cheap, especially if you’re trying to stay on a budget. But living in close proximity to two major metropolitan areas can have it’s benefits. Here are some of the best places to go in the winter that won’t break the bank.

1. Ice skating at the Wells Fargo Winter Skate Rink

What better way to spend the day or evening than with free winter skating? Located right in the heart of St. Paul you can enjoy the beautiful view of the historic buildings in a closed ice rink. Although admission is free, rental skates would cost $4. The rink is adjacent to a small warming hut that sells hot chocolate and other snacks.

2. Go to the MIA

The MIA is constantly changing their displays and although some of the featured exhibits cost a bit more, general admission is free to the public. Not only can you see some amazing art from all over the world, there’s truly something for everyone whether you love Asian pottery, colonial dress or photography.

3. Visit Minnehaha Falls

Perhaps you’ve been to the Minnehaha Falls in the summer, but the iconic landmark is just as beautiful in the winter. Frozen water cascades from the lip of the falls, falling in breathtaking icicles. A little known adventure is to go behind the frozen falls, which at certain times a day turns the ice different colors on the inside. Following a small worn path near the fence you can hike a route into the ice caves themselves.

4. Luminary Loppet

Going until February 3rd, the Luminary Loppet takes place in the Lake of the Isles. On the nights of the event, small luminaries are placed all around the frozen lake where participants can ski, snowshoe or hike. There are events like fire dancers, ice sculptures and live music scattered around the area (plus participants get free hot cocoa (and/or Surly beer if you’re over 21)).

5. Como Conservatory

If you’re tired of being in the cold, get ready to shed your coat and walk around this indoor greenhouse. The Como Conservatory is free and houses thousands of different plants and flowers in its beautiful building.

6. Hot cocoa + walk around the lakes

Not interested in travelling far? Bring some thermoses of hot chocolate to go and stroll around some of the Twin Cities’ amazing lakes. You’ll see that the lakes and parks Minnesota is prized for are no less magnificent when it’s chilly than when it’s warm.

7. Free Thursdays at the Walker

If you’ve already been to the MIA, but haven’t yet checked out the Walker Art Museum because you’re spooked out about the admission price (which I get it -- $15 for adults and $10 for students can be a little pricey depending on your opinion), plan to make a trip on a Thursday where there’s free admission! Not only do they offer unique and inspiring exhibits (the current focus is called Adiós Utopia: Dreams and Deceptions in Cuban Art since 1950), this museum is a must-see if you’re a lover of contemporary art.

8. Wabasha Street Caves

Thursdays are swing dancing nights at the Wabasha Street Caves! Whether you’re an experienced dancer (or like me, have two left feet), the street caves are an unique and historical part of St. Paul that not everyone knows about. After saying the “Speakeasy password”: ‘Gus sent me’, you can dance the night away in the underground ballroom complete with live music and a full bar. Admission is only $8 and they offer swing dancing lessons too.

Stay warm this winter fellow Minnesotans! Keep on exploring what the Twin Cities have to offer, and don’t let the flurries stop you.