Twenty Things Being 20 Has Taught me
Lifestyles

Twenty Things Being 20 Has Taught me

What it means to be twenty-something

24
Twenty Things Being 20 Has Taught me

1. The oldies are the goodies

And no, I don't mean selfies. I mean the old music you would listen to in the car with your parents that you thought was just the worst music ever. I remember riding in the car with my dad and telling him to change the song, change the station, listen to something from this century, and he would just laugh and tell me that some day I would appreciate it, and that day has come. I never used to appreciate my parents taste in music, until now, and I ABSOLUTELY LOVE it. Every time I hear some Stevie Nicks, I just think of my parents, especially my dad and it's something that makes me feel like I'm right at home with them, even when I'm not.

2. Learn to take care of yourself now

Once 18 hit, I considered myself an adult with my parents guidance. I thought I knew what I was doing, who I was, and where I was going in life, but truthfully, that didn't hit till I turned 20. It didn't hit me until I was going into my junior year of college. Classes got harder, I started looking at houses to rent, I had more obligations than I ever had. And this taught me that it was time to grow up and take responsibility because even though mom & dad are just a phone call away, I was on my own and had to make my own decisions. These were going to be decisions that determined the rest of my schooling and career, and it was time to make responsible ones. It was finally time to take care of myself and guide myself in the right direction.

3. Embrace failure

It's going to happen, and it's okay. It's time to embrace & accept it. Not everything is going to go your way and that's okay.

4. Stop caring what others think

Although I've always had this mentality, I really really understood it just recently. I am my own person and I need to do what's best for me, and not care what others are going to say or think about it.

5. Don't compare yourself to others

There's always going to be people that are better than you, there's always going to be someone that is smarter than you, better than you at a sport, etc. And that's okay. This is the thing I tend to struggle with the most. Although I can only be the best version of myself, I constantly find myself comparing myself and my actions to others.

6. Don't give up

Even when it's hard. When school is beating you to the ground, when life is hitting you hard, dont give up. Wherever you are in life, keep going. Wake up feeling blessed, and start the day feeling grateful for another 24 hours.

7. Invest in experiences, not things

Quit investing in things that you dont need, or things that wont matter to you 3 days from now. Invest your time, money, energy, whatever it might be, in experiences and moments that will last a lifetime, because memories are forever.

8. You and your friends will change

You will lose friends, gain friends, become closer with people who you didn't think you'd be close to, etc. In your 20s you begin to decide who you want to be, and so do your friends. Sometimes you're going in the same direction, and sometimes you're not- that's just fine.

9. Time flies

It really does. The days are long but the weeks and months are short, so make your life one that you want to remember. Get to work on the life you want, and a life that makes you proud.

10. Love yourself

No one will love you more than you will love yourself, so love yourself completely because you're the best advocate you have. Life is short, spend it loving who you are.

11. Know your worth

Know you're enough, because you are, and always will be. As long as you're on a path that will fully realize your potential and your dreams, know you're exactly where you should be, and doing everything you need to be doing.

12. Calling home is okay

Calling mom and dad, or whomever it might be, is 100% okay. Sometimes you just need to vent, sometimes you just need a chat with the people that know you best, and it's the best feeling ever.

13. It's okay to not be okay

Don't always feel the need to be happy and fake a smile and just go with it because you don't wanna feel sad. It's okay to be sad. It's okay to have emotions, and it's perfectly okay to show those emotions.

14. Play hard, but work harder

It's supposed to be fun. Your 20's are the best. You're thriving, you love life, you have fun, and that's good. But work hard. Work for your future, work for those goals and work for what you want out of life.

15. Go outside

As kids we always went outside, but now, people are constantly inside. Surrounded by media, always on their phone, constantly watching tv, and that's not right. Go outside. Enjoy nature and enjoy God's beautiful work around you.

16. Get involved

Get involved with the community. Volunteer, help, lend a hand. It never goes unnoticed and it will leave you feeling wonderful. There's nothing better than helping out.

17. Speak your mind

Life is too short not too. Always say how you feel because you never know what tomorrow brings

18. Be the first in, and the last to leave

This is essential especially in your twenties. You're branching out, getting jobs, getting internships, starting a life. Be early. Be the first one there, it shows you care. Be the last one to leave. Stick around, do more, ask questions. STAY ENGAGED

19. Sometimes an ass kicking is a good thing

Sometimes you just need your ass kicked. You wont get anywhere in life without a little push. Sure, it sucks in the process, but is so rewarding afterwards. Embrace the ass kicking, and roll with it.

20. Money isn't everything

There's more to life than money. Sure, everyone could use some money here and there, but that doesn't matter in the long run. Love yourself, love life, and surround yourself with people who care. Worry about happiness first, and money last.