Ten TV Shows To Make The Summer A Little Less Dreadful

Get ready to waste your life away with these TV shows!

24
Cosmopolitan

With summer comes the opportunity to finally watch the TV shows you've been dying to see. As a person devoted to spending my summer with my roku remote in hand, I've compiled a list of my favorite shows that everyone and their mother's need to see. Curl up with your favorite remote, a blanket, and plenty of snacks as you embark on this list sent straight from the TV gods.

1. iZombie

An exciting show that delves into the world of zombies, yet still maintains a light-hearted premise. This show is packed full of sleuthing, action, and laughter.

"When over-achieving medical resident Liv Moore attends a party that turns into a zombie feeding frenzy, she ends up joining the ranks of the living dead. Determined to pass as human despite her pale appearance and newly listless demeanor, Liv forms a plan to resist her drive to consume fresh human brains by taking a job at a coroner's office, where she can secretly snack on the brains of corpses delivered there. Soon discovering that she absorbs the memories of those she feeds on, she finds new purpose by posing as a psychic and working with a detective to help solve their murders."

2. Daredevil

If you've ever had a conversation with me, you'll know that I am obsessed with all things Marvel. When Netflix announced that they would be creating different series to explore the Marvel universe, I cried for like three days.

Daredevil is probably one of my all time favorite superheroes. Although blind, he can literally tear you apart in three seconds flat. He's great, this show is great, Matt Murdock is just an amazing human who deserves the world.

"The first in a planned series of shows detailing the Marvel universe, "Daredevil" follows Matt Murdock, attorney by day and vigilante by night. Blinded in an accident as a child, Murdock uses his heightened senses as Daredevil to fight crime on the streets of New York after the sun goes down. While Murdock's day job requires him to believe in the criminal justice system, his alter ego does not follow suit, leading him to take the law into his own hands to protect his Hell's Kitchen neighborhood and the surrounding communities."

3. Jessica Jones

Jessica Jones is one of Marvel's darker stories, but it's one of the greatest. Jessica is someone who doesn't want to save the world, she wants to save herself. Jessica Jones is, quite frankly, a bad ass and I want to be her with every fiber of my being.

"This Netflix original chronicles the life of one of the darker Marvel characters, the mysterious Jessica Jones. When a tragedy puts an the end to her short-lived career as a superhero, Jessica settles in New York City and opens her own detective agency, called Alias Investigations, which seems to be called into cases involving people who have special abilities. Suffering from post-traumatic stress syndrome, Jessica wants to do good, but her primary interest isn't in saving the world, it's saving her apartment and getting through each day. Based on a graphic novel intended for adults, this is not a superhero story for the kids."

4. Scrubs

Scrubs is my favorite television show of all time and if you haven't watched it, I honestly do not know what you're waiting for. Scrubs is funny, heartwarming, and makes you cry all at the same time. Come for JD and Turk's friendship, stay because you're in love with the best television show ever.

"Fresh out of medical school, new doctors John "J.D." Dorian, his best friend Christopher Turk, and Elliot Reid start their internship at Sacred Heart Hospital. There, they meet the harsh Chief of Medicine Dr. Bob Kelso, J.D.'s reluctant mentor Dr. Perry Cox, nurse Carla Espinosa, and the deceitful and prankish Janitor. Also at the hospital are the wide range of personalities of Sacred Heart's staff, including the religious nurse Laverne Roberts, incompetent lawyer Ted Buckland, and spiteful board member Jordan Sullivan who also happens to be Cox's ex-wife. Other interns make the cut, such as the high-fiving Todd Quinlan and nervous Doug Murphy. Over the next 9 years they face personal and professional highs and lows, realizing that they can't make it through life - much less a hectic job as a doctor - on their own."

5. Mr. Robot

Call me a nerd, but this series is so wonderfully constructed that I binge watched it without even realizing it. Rami Malek is wonderful in this show, truly becoming Elliot. If you like sci-fi, watch this. If you don't like sci-fi, watch it anyway. This series is not on Netflix, but you can watch it for free on USA Network's website!

"Young, anti-social computer programmer Elliot works as a cybersecurity engineer during the day, but at night he is a vigilante hacker. He is recruited by the mysterious leader of an underground group of hackers to join their organization. Elliot's task? Help bring down corporate America, including the company he is paid to protect, which presents him with a moral dilemma. Although he works for a corporation, his personal beliefs make it hard to resist the urge to take down the heads of multinational companies that he believes are running -- and ruining -- the world."

6. Bob's Burgers

If you haven't heard of Bob's Burgers, my only thought is that you've been living under a rock. This show is great, from Tina's one liners (think "I'm no hero. I put my bra on one boob at a time like everyone else.") to Bob and Linda's hilarious relationship. This show is a must watch, I promise you won't realize you're four seasons in until you get to the inevitable black screen at the end.

"Bob Belcher is a third-generation restaurateur who runs Bob's Burgers with his loving wife and their three children. Bob believes his burgers speak for themselves and isn't afraid to offer a variety of off-beat creations. Bob's wife, Linda, supports his dream but is becoming sick of the slow times, as the restaurant is constantly in danger of going out of business. Despite the challenges, which includes consistent harassment from Linda's ex -- a health inspector -- Bob tries to keep the grill sizzling."

7. Blind Spot

This show is full of action and suspense. I started watching it with my mom and was instantly hooked. It's awesome watching the team try to solve each crime that correlates with Jane's body.

This show is not available on Netflix, but you can watch it on Hulu!

"When a beautiful woman (Jaimie Alexander) with no memory of who she is or how she got there is discovered naked in New York's Times Square, the conspicuous etching of FBI Agent Kurt Weller's (Sullivan Stapleton) name across her back quickly makes it obvious to whom the case should be assigned. An international plot blows up as Agent Weller and his team discover that each intricate tattoo on Jane Doe's body is a crime to solve, creating a map that leads ever closer to the truth about her identity and mysteries yet to be revealed."

8. Roswell

I started watching Roswell last summer and fell in love almost immediately. The love story between Liz and Max is that of dreams. Watch it.

"Bizarre things start happening in the little New Mexico town where UFOs were spotted in 1947. Cut to 1999, when a cute high-school student saves the life of a teenage waitress. Surrounded by cliques of clever, angst-filled classmates, the two form a bond that threatens the survival of a secret universe involving superhuman powers, a yen for hot sauce and an alien gene pool."

9. Gilmore Girls

A lot of people put off watching Gilmore Girls because they think they won't like it, but they're pleasantly surprised by the story of Lorelai and Rory. It's so good it's getting a reboot! I've never been happier.

"Set in a storybook Connecticut town populated by an eclectic mix of dreamers, artists and everyday folk, this multigenerational drama about family and friendship centers around Lorelai Gilmore and her daughter, Rory. Lorelai owns the town's bed-and-breakfast, the Dragonfly Inn, with best friend/chef Sookie, and contends with weekly dinners with eccentric, well-off parents Richard and Emily Gilmore (who always have something to say about their daughter's life). After high school, Rory attends Yale University but frequently returns to Stars Hollow to visit her mom."

10. Heroes

This is the first show I got to stay up past my bedtime to watch. It's great, full of action and an amazing story line. This series also had a reboot, Heroes Reborn.

"After battling the Company to keep an explosion from destroying New York, and averting a global pandemic, the heroes adjust to new stages in their lives. Former cheerleader Claire takes on college life, Hiro and Ando continue to try to help people by utilizing their abilities and Peter is called upon to help an old friend. Meanwhile the arrival of the mysterious carnival clan keeps people guessing. But the heroes will once again be called upon to save the world."

All of these shows, except two, can be found on Netflix. Relax and get ready to have your life changed.