Turquoise Glow of the Shey Phoksundo Lake - Traveler's Heaven in Nepal
Travel

Turquoise Glow of the Shey Phoksundo Lake

Nepal is traveler's heaven and thanks to the landscapes, gorges, mountains and lakes that add value. Shey Phoksundo, a spectacular lake in high Himalaya, is one such precious jewel.

40

Residing in the Dolpa District and garnered in the arms of Ringmo Village, Psey Phoksundo nests in an elevation of 3,611.5 m above the sea level. Color of the lake defined as Turquoise blue bestows a magnificent view to its spectators and often changes color according to the light falling upon it. Surprisingly the 1.91 sq. mi Himalayan freshwater Lake abides no aquatic life in it

Spectacular views of the Snow Capped Mountains with a blend of green pine forest make the landscape exceptionally beautiful. The region still untouched by modern infrastructures is enriched by Traditional Tibetian Heritage and Bonpo Culture. Inscriptions carved on stones depicting Om Mani Padme Hum can be located on the trails of the region.

Enriched with Flora and Faunas the trail towards the Lake never misses the sound of the wild blue river streaming between the thick green woods. The trekking path elevates to a height giving a spectacular views of Rocky Mountains and a thin line of Blue River streaming below. Being a rain shadow area the climatic conditions are moderate with a fresh soul cleansing breeze stirring at times. The dense forest gives a stunning perspective in blend with the progressing milky river.

Phoksundo Lake lies in an elevation of 3,660 meters and its outlet is Nepal's highest waterfall flowing spectacularly high as descended from heaven. Geological Origin of this Lake dates back 40,000 years ago when a massive Himalayan rockslide of limestone and sediments blocked the Suligad River.

However, Myth has it that the lake resides in what used to be a valley which was cursed upon and had drowned the inhabitants and what lay beneath. Lore as said by the residents' state that a witch's request for shelter was refused and she had fiercely poured magical oil from a bottle which engulfed the entire village.

Inhabitants of the Ringmo Valley are no more than 2,000 Buddhists for whom time has still stood for centuries. Most of them being Buddhists and occupied as farmers growing buckwheat, mustard, barley, beans. Trading for the residents is annually at the Tibetian border where they barter for salt, wools and other necessary things. Monasteries and Gumbas are found in the national park where residents practice Tibetian Buddhism and Bon, ancient pre-Buddhist religion.

For us, the whole Trek had been a wild ride into the captivating beauty of Phoskundo and Dolpo and one of the best travel destinations. As chosen the long route for more excitement and adventure we had to walk an entire day in steep trails. In order to expand the pavements explosives were blown just days ahead, we went there and had to make way ourselves through rocks and stones.

Thin Slippery trails and often running high velocity of winds would at a time give a shiver and make it riskier. No room for errors in the mountain and one could plunge straight down to the river flowing at high current. It was in August 2017 we made this trip and by now the trails must have been broadened and one can avoid this long run by taking a flight from Kathmandu to Nepalgunj and there to the district capital Dunai. Doplo is a truly amazing place, without doubt, Shey Phoksundo Lake is the jewel of Nepal and a must visit sacred Landscape.