21st Birthday

I Just Turned 21 And I Can Honestly Say I Still Feel The Same

What's really the difference between 20 and 21?

46
Drinking

Everyone makes out being 21-years-old as something that is life changing. It's considered this big deal since you are finally of legal age.

But let's be honest, it doesn't seem all that great.

I recently turned 21 this January (shout out to all my fellow Capricorns) and I don't feel any different. Before I turned 21, all my friends were hyping me up about how it's going to be lit and how I'm going to be the new plug. Since my birthday is in January, I was the first to turn 21 in my group of friends. Meaning it was hard to find a place to get lit with my underage friends.

Being in New York City is a plus when trying to find a place suitable for 21-year-old activities. But finding a place that doesn't card at the door was pretty much impossible. The day of my birthday, I decided on a restaurant in Washington Heights in New York. A place that, through a suggestion of a friend, was supposed to be lit.

However, this was not the case.

My friends and I walked into the restaurant that was pretty much empty. Some reggaeton was playing in the background, but nowhere in hell was this place "lit." This restaurant was a place that my 18-year-old self could've gotten in with my friends. The only difference was that instead of water, I had a sangria as my drink.

I will never forget the disappointment in the eyes of some of my friends. I can tell some of them were blaming me for the predicament. However, I would not have been in that situation if they weren't ALL SO YOUNG. I had to change how I spent my birthday to accommodate them. Instead of thanking me for being such a good friend, all I got was a snort and fakes smiles.

Whatever.

Just because I turned 21 doesn't mean I can wave a wand around and all my underage friends will be able to get into a club. Honestly, now that I think about it, I should've just left them and partied on my own like the independent woman I am.

But I didn't.

Point is, I spent my day doing something that I would've done on any other birthday. Turning 21 didn't feel that different. I'm still me, except the fact that instead of a vertical ID, it's now horizontal. Oh, and now I'm probably the official plug for my friends.

Yay me.

For those who haven't turned 21 yet, don't rush it. Have fun while you can because BEING AN ADULT IS HARD. Also, remember that the experiences I have are MY experiences. Everyone is different.

Anyways, now I'm just looking forward to 22. I mean, Taylor Swift wrote a whole song about it, so it must be great. Right?