If You Don't Use Your Turn Signals, You're A Terrible Person

If you can't learn to abide by the simple rules of the road, you shouldn't be driving.

21

There are certain pet peeves that make your blood boil. People that chew loudly, cut lines, walk slowly, bite their nails, the list goes on and on. They rustle my jimmies too, don't get me wrong. But, as a frequent driver, the grand-daddy of them all has to be drivers not using their turn signals on the road.

I'm sick of trailing a vehicle on a major interstate, let alone back road, and it making a drastic right or left-hand turn. No warning, no courtesy, no responsibility. Not only does it lack respect for drivers behind, but it also causes accidents that can easily be prevented. Sick of it. Drivers who flick on their signals a split second before turning--you're just as cancerous as not turning it on at all. Don't think you're out of the woods, either.

My 16-year-old self understood that drivers should signal about 100 feet before making a turn. I had to know that to pass my permit test. Did other drivers not have to know that? Did they get to skip? Called in for jury duty? Or, do they just not care? Whatever is convenient for them, I guess.

For newer drivers, please please PLEASE fulfill your obligation as a licensed driver and use turn signals. It's quite literally against the law to not do so. You can save a world of frustration for other drivers and obscenities flying at you by simply doing what you're supposed to. Let me reiterate: no one on the road is a mind reader. Nor should they be.

When there aren't any other vehicles behind me, or even on the road, I still use my turn signals. Why? Getting into a positive habit is never a bad thing. The more you consciously do something, the more likely it becomes an instinct. Develop a beneficial habit today! And do your job. Use your turn signals.

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.