My Brother Convinced Me to Turn Down the iPhone 7

And I'm excited about my new choice.

7
driodstar.net

Recently, I came to the realization that I will need a new phone. Now, don’t get me wrong. My iPhone 5s has served me long and Lord knows how much it’s been through and it still lives to boast its tales. But it’s coming to the point where I don’t receive calls and messages even when I have service and wifi and that is probably a sign that I should begin to consider a new one.

Anyone who is familiar with my family knows that my younger brother is really tech savvy. Like, really tech savvy. This 14-year-old boy added a couple sticks of RAM to the desktop we have and replaced every part of it aside from the power supply and the case. So the CPU, the graphics card, the motherboard, you name it, he’s found some way to replace it with a better counterpart. In fact, I’ve learned quite a bit from him when it comes to all things computer related. I now know what the RAM does and what difference a good graphics card makes.

This weekend I learned that not only is my brother skilled when it comes to all things computers, but he’s also quite the little phone guru. I told him that I would need a new phone soon and he immediately embarked on an epic quest to convince me that there are other wonderful options aside from the standard Apple iPhone.

He showed me a bunch of nice androids, including the OnePlus 2 and the ZTE Axon 7, both great phones for much less than what the new iPhone would cost. He explained, of course, why they were good options, telling me about RAM and the processors, the cameras and the battery capabilities. By the end of our conversation, my head was exploding with all my new knowledge of specs and what they imply. I never thought that I would begin to lean more toward android than Apple, simply because Apple is just . . . well, Apple.

Slowly I found myself warming up to the idea of a more customizable phone again (in the past I had a bad experience with a horrible android) since these were actually really good phones. As I scrutinized the specs and hardware of the OnePlus 2 and the Axon 7, I found myself unable to make a decision. I liked the look and display of the Axon 7, but didn’t like its processing power and its battery was okay. The OnePlus 2 was less aesthetically pleasing but had better specs, including a 3300 mAh battery (that’s really good. My iPhone 5s has a 1560 mAh battery and boy, does it show). So as I sat there unable to decide, my wonderful brother swoops in and says, “Have you looked at the OnePlus 3? I kinda wanted it but I’d be happy to let you have such a nice phone. My OnePlus 1 can hang on for a while still, until the OnePlus 4 comes out and later probably.” Bless his little heart. I found it perfect. The processing, the display, the camera, the storage, the battery. It’s even pretty! I found my dream phone courtesy of a patient, intelligent, and selfless younger brother and learning to open my mind to other possibilities. I always convinced myself that iPhone was the way to go but this time I decided I needed a change and I’m excited to have a nice android. Yes, it’s less mainstream, but it’ll be fantastic.

So this weekend I learned that sometimes you have to open your eyes and consider other possibilities. Change isn’t necessarily bad. And yes, I know that iPhones are not horrible. They have different things to offer depending on what your preferences happen to be. I’m in the mood for a change from the typical iPhone and so I’m taking a less-traveled way (also I’m not a fan of the missing 3.5 mm jack in the iPhone 7. Just putting that out there). Which is perfectly fine. I’ve learned a lot more than just about phones this weekend, my friends. And I owe it all to my younger brother, who is an unspeakable blessing in my life.