Signs You Were Born Christian

Growing Up Christian May Seem Boring, But It’s Actually Great For These 12 Reasons

It's not all rules and regulations like portrayed on TV

1213

Growing up Christian always seems to get a bad rap. People think of a childhood that lacks anything fun and full of rules and praying. They imagine a picture-perfect family who gathers around the dinner table and enjoys Sunday dinner together over a pot roast and potatoes.

They see a little girl dressed in a frilly dress and a boy wearing a suit to church while they sit still and listen intently. After they go home, they all pull out their Bibles and read it by themselves before retiring to bed.

But in reality, this all just isn't true. For me, growing up in a Christian household was fun. Here are just a few things that you know to be true when you grow up in a Christian household.

1. Veggie Tales

I think I watched Veggie Tales a million times over on VHS. I grew up with Larry the Cucumber and Bob the Tomato. If you turned on the theme song, I bet I could still sing along and not miss a single word. "If you like to talk to tomatoes, if a squash can make you smile…"

2. Vacation Bible School

Summer for most people meant no school and vacations. For me, it means a full week of VBS and fun. With worship in the morning, games and crafts in the afternoon, and food before we left, it was like a huge Godly-kid version of Coachella, except way less expensive and fewer drugs (those Capri Suns sure made us all go crazy).

3. Sunday School

I was a shy kid, so for me, Sunday school caused me to cry. However, looking back it was pretty fun. You got to color Bible coloring pages, do crafts, eat animal crackers, and read Bible stories. All in all, not a bad way to spend an hour.

4. Christian music is being blasted everywhere

My mom always played Christian music. Whether we were in the house, or in the car, some type of Christian artist would be blasting through the speakers. More often than not, it was Casting Crowns. Even today, I still love their music and know every word by heart.

5. The Beginner's Bible

It was almost a rite of passage for every Christian child. As soon as I could read I was given this book. It has cute pictures of all the Bible characters and simple sentences explaining it all. I think I still have it to be honest. It's probably beaten up and ripped, but it will forever remain my first Bible.

6. Bible verses in lunches

My mom and dad would put little Bible verses written on cards in my lunch boxes. Whether it was the first day of school, a day of a presentation, or just because, I could always count on finding one in there.

7. Communion

When I was little I always looked forward to eating the cracker and drinking the grape juice. I didn't truly know what it meant at the time, but it was an exciting moment to be able to eat in church. I still get a little giddy and remember my childhood self whenever I take communion.

8. Your parent’s reactions when they learn you befriended the pastor’s kid

My mom once got very excited when she learned that my new friend was a PK. I think she thought that as long as I was friends with her in high school, I wouldn't fall off the beaten path and do drugs. I didn't and was a relatively good kid so who knows, maybe she was right.

9. You had good role models

This can vary from household-to-household, but I grew up with some pretty great parents who showed me by example, what it was like to have a relationship with God, walk by faith, and to just be a kind person to everyone. I am grateful for them every day and am happy that they are my parents.

10. WWJD

I had multiple versions of bracelets with "WWJD" written on them, maybe even a sticker or two. You could never have too many.

11. WOW Hits!

I had about four of these CD's and would listen to them all the time. My favorite was the blue CD.

12. You got to hang out with your friends while your parents’ had Bible Study together.

Bible study was always so fun. I got to hang out with my friends and eat snacks while the grownups studied the Bible downstairs.

And there you have it! Growing up Christian is more than just following the Bible and having rules. You actually get a lot of fun out of it! Did I miss anything or do you have anything to add? Leave a comment down below!