Trust The Process

Trust The Process

Even if you don't agree with it.

10
Trust The Process
Scholastic

It is 8:22am on November 9th, 2016 and Donald Trump has been named the 45th President of The United States of America.

Some of you read that and cheered.

Some of you read that and cried.

But all of us felt something.

For the past year social media sites and newspapers have been filled with nothing but campaign ads, hate speech, and fear. We were asked to choose between a Corrupt Career-Politician bound to scandal after scandal or a misogynistic, hate breeding, millionaire who has vowed to "make America great again".

Not exactly the pick of the litter

Nonetheless, Americans made their voices heard loud and clear.

I don't want this to be an article bashing our next President because frankly, I do not care to do that.

However, I do want this article to be about the people.

The people who are afraid for their lives. The people that are afraid for their children. The people that are afraid for America.

To them, I would like to say we will be just fine.

I see people speaking about wanting to leave the country and going to Canada, Mexico, or somewhere in Europe. This is not the answer my friends. The answer does not involve running away from your problems. The answer is to stay here and continue t fight for what you believe in.

I see both sides of the aisle screaming at the other that they are what is wrong with America. It's hard to watch when you know exactly what both sides are feeling (it's even harder when you have friends on both sides).You have the Trump supporters high on the fact that they got their man in the White House. They don't care about anything else right now. They see those who oppose Trump as "what is wrong with America", but then again they have a right to express their opinion.

On the other side of the aisle, you have those who supported Hillary and those who just did not want to see Trump win. They are mourning what they believe is the end of the Nation. They are crying openly in the streets. They are already talking about impeaching a man who has not yet even entered the White House. They see those who support Trump as "what is wrong with America", but they have every right to do that.

Then in the middle of the aisle, you have myself and many other Americans, the people who did not vote for Trump or Clinton. All we can do is watch, and it's terrifying. Personally, I do not believe either of the major candidates was fit to become President, so it was a lose-lose situation for me. Now, I watch the news and just wait to see how this goes.

Even though we have declared our winner I still see hate coming from both sides. But why?

We exercised our right's as citizens of this Nation and voted. Some of us are happy while some of us are upset, that's politics.

So why continue to hate?

The answer is that there is no reason to continue the hatred. Now is the time where we all must come together and embrace the change. Sure we may not all be comfortable with it, but life truly begins at the end of your comfort zone. I am not saying worship Trump where he stands, I'm not even saying you need to like him. However, right now we need to come together.

Trump has obviously said things that have brought fear to the LGBT community, immigrants, minorities, and just common people. However, we have seen hate speech before. We have had Presidents who supported slavery, women not having the right to vote, and sent our troops to fight wars that we should never have been involved in. I think we can handle Trump.

Washington D.C. is one of the most corrupt places on earth. Trump has promised to put an end to career politicians and I think that is great! Trump may have very unpopular opinions to some people, but if he lives up to his promises, no matter how much people do not want to hear it, he can lead America to keep going in the right direction. Or it could all fall apart, but in that case, the people who were so quick to support him will surely be there to destroy him.

My final plea is to keep an open mind. I know things seem dark right now, but now is the time to stick together. Do not riot in the streets, do not pack your bags to leave the country. Stay here and help keep the ship going.

I realize people may not like what I have said, but that's okay. It is just as much your right to disagree with me as it is my right to say what I have said. Let's just all work together to keep this country afloat.

I'm not a Republican or a Democrat, just an American who wants to see his country taken care of.

Thank You, and God Bless America.

Yours Truly,

Ryan Jordan