Trump's 'Real News' Is Another Attempt To Undermine Democracy

With this attempt at propaganda, we need to seriously examine the fascist tendencies of this administration.

11
CNN

Let’s not mince words, Trumps newly launched “real news” is propaganda. It’s not similar to propaganda, as some

news would put it. This is legitimately an attempt to persuade viewers to have a more favorable opinion of Donald J. Trump and his caustic ideology.

But what is more shocking about our president’s propaganda is that we, the American people, are hardly surprised. Trump’s ongoing war with the media has been non-stop, even before being elected, and in hindsight this “real news” is the logical conclusion of such longstanding animosity between Trump and the media.

With that being said, the idea of the president propagating his achievements without any factual evidence and denouncing those who speak negatively of him is truly freighting. This “real news”, although seemingly inevitable and insignificant within the Trump administration, is actually a huge step towards the fascism.

Given the historical significance of fascists leaders, it’s not lightly that I use this word, but when push comes to shove, Trump is a fascist. Clearly, the American government hasn’t submitted to fascism, but with this attempt at propaganda it has become more evident that Trump’s administration wants to move our government in that direction.

I say more evident because for a while now Trump and his cronies have scorned free speech, one of our constitutional rights that allows citizens to have a voice in government. So, while Trump has always tried to dissuade original thinking, this installation of “real news” is now attempting to implement ideas and thoughts into our minds.

Now, before I go on, I do want to say that our regular news is far from great. Regular news does usually persuade viewers into a particular stance, often without much evidence, and is a potent tool in changing thought amongst the masses. Needless to say, I think our media needs a drastic overhaul that gives unbiased facts and allows viewers to come to their own conclusion.

However, the goals of media and news outlets are quite different than propaganda. Media is after money (not that Trump isn’t) and obtaining as many viewers as possible. Therefore, we see news outlets appeal to commonly held beliefs; the results being two dominate types of political news, liberal or conservative, Democratic or Republican, “CNN” or “FOX”, etc.

But propaganda is a means to an end, created to persuade viewers, not appeal to them. Considering Trump’s reelection team is funding this, clearly that end is Trump’s reelection.

And although Trump’s ego probably leads him to believe this propaganda is actually real news, his team creating the content knows it’s misleading in nature. They know they can’t give facts to support the success of Trump, simply because these facts are difficult to find.

I believe this aspect often overlooked; Trump is only a single person, he’s not responsible for all the chaos happening in the White House. There are plenty of people around him and in government who are have the same agenda has Trump.

Which is part of the reason why Trump TV should be taken seriously. Multiple people are working together to avoid the facts about the current administration to get Trump reelected, not by earning respect of people and improving their lives, but by convincing us that Trump has done so.

And everyone involved with this “real news” is undermining democracy. Those involved don’t care to hear what the people have to say, rather, they tell the people what they want the people to hear.

Thus, I think it is safe to say there are people with lots of political influence that would prefer an authoritarian government. One person isn’t capable of transforming a political system, Trump needs help achieving this, and it looks like he does have help.

Now, according to some moderate/liberal news sources, like this

, there is no way people will be misled by “real news.” To me this is mind-blowing. If millions of people can be misled during Trumps campaign there is no reason why it can’t happen again.

Even if this exact mode of propaganda doesn’t work, there’s no reason to believe there won’t be another attempt. Trump and his administration is incapable of adhering to regular news and will only be satisfied when the only news about Trump is positive. This insatiable need is currently impossible, but can be a fulfilled under fascism.

Perhaps I do have a tinfoil hat on, but I just can’t see a world where this administration is satisfied with anything less than complete control of the media and news. I truly do believe this push towards fascism will continue, and this attempt at propaganda demonstrates how desperate this administration is to reach that goal.