Trump Hasn't Made America 'Great Again,' He's Made It Worse

I'm not one to bring politics up because I don't like starting fights. However, as Trump's presidency faces an impeachment inquiry, I can't stop thinking about the issue of racism that has seemingly gotten worse over the years.

I'm not one to be ignorant and think that racism wasn't a problem before Trump because God knows it was definitely a problem. But Trump's presidency made it worse.

With his promise to secure the borders, people got excited to see a change. Trump wanted to secure the borders in order to eliminate, or at least decrease, the problem of smuggling drugs into the states and keeping illegal immigrants out.

In Trump's defense, those are both justified goals. But he went about it all wrong, separating families and putting them in cages at the border.

I feel as if the "build the wall" idea was just an excuse to give racists a reason to be racist. America was founded for people who wanted to come here and start a new, better life. America was founded for freedom and safety. However, with these past few years, I've witnessed more racism than ever. Not only on the news and social media but in person, right in front of me.

The place I work has advertisements that are sometimes in Spanish because we tend to have a lot of customers that don't speak English. One day, a woman asked why they were in Spanish and what they meant. My manager said, "It means the same thing as the promotion sign, just in Spanish."

The woman replied, "Why are they in Spanish? This is America."

I wanted to say to her, "You're right, this is America. Home of the free, b*tch," but I didn't because I wanted to keep my job.

Trump's presidency has made people forget what made America great in the first place: the freedom to live the life you want. Instead of loving one another and being kind to those who are different, people scream, "Build the wall!" and give dirty looks to those who look different than them.

It's time for a change. It's time for America to actually be great again — without Trump.