Trivium: 'Ascendancy' Album Review

Trivium: 'Ascendancy' Album Review

'Ascendancy' began Trivium's ascent to the top of the metal scene thanks to the band's significantly improved song writing

578
Trivium: 'Ascendancy' Album Review
youtube.com

Ascendancy is the second studio album by the American heavy metal band, Trivium. The album lasts a duration of 55:11. It was released on March 15, 2005 by Roadrunner Records.

Lineup:

Matt Heafy – lead vocals, rhythm guitar, production

Corey Beaulieu – lead guitar, backing vocals

Paolo Gregoletto – bass guitar, backing vocals

Travis Smith – drums, percussion

Production:

Jason Suecof – production, engineering

Background:

Ascendancy marks the first Trivium album to feature guitarist Corey Beaulieu and bassist Paolo Gregoletto. This album really marks the first major success for the band Trivium. In 2005, Ascendancy won the "Album of the Year Award" from Kerrang! magazine. It has also sold 500,000 copies worldwide. In the U.S. it only managed to peak at No. 151 on the Billboard 200 chart. Ascendancy is the record that began Trivium's ascent to the top of the metal scene thanks to its combination of metalcore vocals with thrash metal guitar riffs.

Track Listing:

1. "The End of Everything" (Instrumental) 1:20

A short acoustic guitar and piano opening that sets a somewhat eerie tone for this record

2. "Rain" 4:11

Wow! This is the kind of start that every metalcore record needs. This song is full of speedy thrash influenced guitar riffs, aggressive screams, melodic choruses and a brutal attitude from all of the members of the band. Matt Heafy's voice is still developing, but his voice sounds more mature and much stronger in comparison to last record. The lead guitar work is very strong as well. The album really could not have started any better than this.

3. "Pull Harder on the Strings of Your Martyr" 4:51

Trivium does not let up with this track. Perhaps the band's most popular song also happens to be one of their best and heaviest tracks. It has crushing guitar riffs, aggressive vocals, and some awesome drumming to top it all off. The guitar solos in this song are also fantastic thanks to the duel guitar work by Corey and Matt. At this point Trivium sounds much better thanks to better writing, new band members, and better production to really allow the music to shine.

4. "Drowned and Torn Asunder" 4:17

This song utilizes more fast and aggressive guitar riffing to go along with Matt's brutal vocal delivery. The chorus is extremely melodic and is definitely the most memorable part of the entire track. I like the contrast between the slowed down chorus and the fast aggressive verses. Trivium's lead guitar work continues to shine throughout this track to top it all off.

5. "Ascendancy" 4:25

This is definitely the most melodic of the tracks so far on the album. It starts with more brutal vocals from Heafy, but the chorus is extremely uplifting and quite beautiful. I love some of the more melodic riffs that contrast many of the other songs on the album as well as the slower pace of the drumming during parts of the verses. Of course it would not be a Trivium song without an epic guitar solo.

6. "A Gunshot to the Head of Trepidation" 5:55

I love the beginning of this track because of the drumming combined with the varying guitar riffs. The thing that I love most about this song is definitely the lead guitar work throughout. The riffs are excellent and the solos are the best from the entire album. The complete tempo change to a completely different sound from Heafy's brutal screams to his more melodic vocals is what makes this song stand out from the rest of the album though. This is one of my favorite tracks from the entire record because of its abundant thrash metal influence.

7. "Like Light to the Flies" 5:40

This song is amazing and is easily one of the best metalcore songs ever written. The guitar riffs are some of Trivium's best and the chorus has some of Matt's best sounding vocals ever. During the verses his vocals are absolutely brutal and full of aggression. I love the guitar solos as well. This song has my favorite guitar riffs from the entire record and just so happens to be my favorite song from the album as well.

8. "Dying in Your Arms" 2:53

I knew their was no way this record would remain perfect. This song is a typical "made for radio" track that is lacking in creative guitar riffs and the aggressive nature that the remainder of the album possessed. The guitar solos are really good though, but the rest of the song is average at best.

9. "The Deceived" 5:11

This song opens with a thrash metal riff and more brutal vocals. The chorus is very melodic and extremely catchy which takes this song to a new level. I love the constant aggression of the rest of the track that perfectly contrasts the verses of the song. The drum clinic that is present on this entire record really makes me take for granted how good Travis really is. This song picks the album back up to where it needs to be.

10. "Suffocating Sight" 3:47

I like the guitar riffs that open this song because of the different sound when compared to the other opening riffs on the album. This song is so brutal because of its speed and Matt's heavy vocal delivery. What I love the most about the song is definitely the breakdown that comes out of nowhere right after the chorus. The guitar solo is short, but it is an absolute shred fest.

11. "Departure" 5:41

This song is amazing. The use of clean vocals and acoustic guitar in the verse is an ingenious change of pace from the band that is really a "departure" from the entire record. The verses buildup to explosive and brutally screamed verse from Heafy just before a beautifully sung chorus. The guitar solos are a given for Trivium at this point and this song does not disappoint in the slightest in this department. The constant change in tempo and aggression make this one of the most progressive songs on the entire album.

12. "Declaration" 7:00

I love the melodic riffs that begin this track, but soon those end when the brutality resumes. I have to say this is quite the heavy ending even for this record. The chorus is sung beautifully though to give the listener a nice break from the crushing nature of the rest of the song. I love the many different riffs that are utilized during this song as well as the ridiculous guitar solos. The heavy head banging riff at the end is the perfect way to end this album. Clocking in at 7:00, this song is a lot to take in upon first listen because of the constant mood and tempo changes throughout, but it is one of the stronger songs on the entire record.

My Verdict:

Production:

One thing that I could really tell had improved for Trivium upon first listen was the huge improvement of the overall sound of the album. The production makes the music that much more powerful on this release. The riffs, drums, and bass are all audible and sound great. Matt Heafy's vocals also sound a lot cleaner and polished as well.

Score: 17 / 20

Album Flow:

From start to finish there is only one hiccup in the flow of this album for me. With that being said, there every other track on the album belongs and is correctly placed. Some tracks are a bit repetitive because of similar structures and riffs, but almost every song is enjoyable. This is an album that should definitely be listened to in its entirety from start to finish.

Score: 16 / 20

Song Writing:

Trivium's huge improvement in song writing is apparent on this release. The guitar riffs are far more memorable and the lyrics are superior as well. The only flaw I find in the song writing is that it could have used a little more clean vocals and melody. The songs can be a little repetitive at times, but overall there is definitely enough variation to keep me interested.

Score: 48 / 60

Overall Scoring Scale:

0-19: Garbage

20-29: Very Poor

30-39: Poor

40-49: Below Average

50-59: Average

60-69: Above Average

70-79: Good

80-89: Awesome

90-100: Must Own

Overall Score: 81 / 100