Triumphs And Tribulations Of Going To College Across The Country

Moving 2,796 miles away isn't always the easiest, but with that come many great advantages and experiences.

38
Google Maps

I never expected to become an East Coaster (if even just for college), but somehow on college decision day, I destined myself for a life in Maryland for the next four years. I've lived abroad without my family, but going to college across the country has been a whole different story. As a Senior in college, I have had plenty of time to experience life across the country and all the challenges and benefits that come with it.

Moving from California to Maryland has not been my biggest challenge in life. I always say, "At least I'm in the same country as my family," which makes life a whole lot easier. There's something different about going to college and returning for your first Winter Break and realizing you will probably never live at home again in the same way you used to before college. It's a strange moment when you notice your childhood home is now a place you visit twice a year and it creates a moment of sadness but also excitement for the future to come.

The long distance between my family and me means that I have adjusted to long plane flights and anything under four hours feels like nothing. Along with that, family visits become hard when a six-hour plane flight lies between my family and my college town. Being away from my home and family for at least four and a half months each time before returning home makes it that much sweeter when I'm finally back in good ole California.

With a three hour time change, calling home at reasonable hours is not always feasible. It may not sound like a big thing for most people (just three hours? That's nothing right?). Well, while I am headed off to class, my family is all still asleep and when they have free time after work and dinner I am heading to bed or out on the weekends. Trying to connect when I need something quick is not always easy, but the long conversations after a week of missed calls make up for it.

As any student who flies to school knows packing is the WORST part of going to school so far away. While my friends are throwing their stuff in a car or even trash bags to transport it, I am struggling to fit a year's worth of clothing and items into two suitcases under 50 pounds. I have become the queen of outsmarting the airlines with my luggage placement on the scale and have gained major quick packing skills. I may look like I'm bringing all my belongings with me while I'm at the airport, but knowing I won't be back for four and a half months means I have to come prepared with anything because there will be no quick phone call to get that dress I forgot for the upcoming weekend.

One of the biggest challenges I face going to college across the country is school breaks. While everyone is going home for Fall Break or Thanksgiving, I start planning which friend's house I can crash at for a few days. With this comes so many great opportunities that I have had to be welcomed into my friends' homes. I have been able to spend Thanksgiving with a sorority sister's family, spend countless long weekends at other friends' houses, and explored new parts of the East Coast. Sometimes, it would be nice to just drive home in 45 minutes to an hour, like most of my college friends, and have a home cooked meal and laundry done by someone else. On the other hand, though, I have seen the generosity so many friends and families have shown me during my college years and I am forever grateful for them taking me into their families when mine was too far away.

The final challenge I'm quickly learning, much to my family's chagrin, is that after four years somewhere, it can be hard to imagine leaving this new life I have made here. While I do not plan to remain in my college town, it is difficult to picture leaving all of the great East Coast friends I have made in college. As a dedicated Californian, I never thought I would stay on the East Coast after college. Yet, here I am, a Senior in college, exploring jobs that allow me to maintain friendships with college friends that don't require a three hour time difference or plane ride, but maybe, just maybe, a 45 minute to an hour drive at most.

While attending college across the country is not always the easiest to do, it does make me appreciate and remember just how special of a place I come from. I'll always be happy knowing I chose to take the chance and move 2,796 miles away, and more people should give it a chance while they can!