Trick Your Brain Into Shape: The Power Of Mind Games

Try these fun and free games for a sharper mind.

55131

1. Green Glass Door

I played this with my after-care campers this summer and they loved it! The premise is extremely simple, too: The only "objects" allowed through the Green Glass Door are words with double letters! I can bring in puppy but not a dog, a tree but not a branch, or a kettle but not a pot. The possibilities are endless.

I'm going to bring my kitten: Cassie!

2. Around the World

I've played this as a geography lesson with kids and just as a game to pass the time during long car rides. The rules are simply to spell the words in order. You spell out the title of the game a-r-o-u-n-d t-h-e w-o-r-l-d with different places you want to visit. I usually start and say "I want to go to Australia! Where do you want to go?" If the answer is anything that doesn't begin with an "r" I can't let them go!

It takes a while for people to catch on to why they can go to some places but not others! Now, can I go to Arendelle, or is it still frozen?

3. Black Magic

This game requires two people who know how to play! One of the two leaves the room while the rest of the group decides on an object they want Player 1 to guess. When Player 1 comes back in, Player 2 asks questions such as "Is it the ceiling?" to which Player 1 will respond with either "yes" or "no." The catch is that when Player 2 says an object that is black, the chosen object is always the one directly after it! This game will amaze people who will want to figure out how Player 1 always knows the answer.

4. The Umbrella Game

Once again, a really fun game to play with a big group! You start by saying something you'd like to bring under the magical umbrella (it can be anything!). The only things that can be brought are those that have an audible pause before them. An elephant would be allowed if you said "Uh...I'm going to bring an elephant," but not if you say "I'm bringing an elephant." I usually stick to the pauses of "um," "uh," and "hmm" but you can use anything else! It's actually very tricky if you don't know what to look, or listen, for!

Can I bring a...uhh...volleyball?

5. The Movie Game

This might be the hardest game, but I think it's also the most fun! This game begins with one person that is selected to be the guesser. The guesser leaves the area while the other players decide on a movie title that is well-known (it works best with longer titles). It's tricky for both the players and the Guesser.

The players have to keep the words of the title in order while the guesser tries to figure it out. It sounds simple enough, but there are a few tricks that make it harder. The guesser picks a person, any person and asks them a question. "What's your favorite color?" "What's your favorite season?" "Am I pretty?" Any question in the world can be asked, but the players have to use a word from the movie title in their answer...in order.

If the movie was "Catching Fire" and the player was asked "Who's your favorite actor?" they would have to have an answer with the word "catching" in it. For example, an answer could be "Well, I really used to like Tom Cruise, but now I'm catching feelings for Channing Tatum!"

The game continues until the guesser gives the correct title of the movie! It's hard but the answers are always hilarious.

Now, if you're up for it, try these ones:

1. Q: "What's the weather outside?"

A: "This morning felt like it was about twenty-one degrees, but it ended up being pretty hot."
Q: "Did you go swimming?"
A: "I wish I went swimming! I'd give anything to jump into a pool right now!"
Q: "Can we go outside?"
A: "This is such a busy street! But I guess we can go outside later."

2. Q: "What did you do today?"

A: "My day was absolutely insane; it was crazy. I went from class to my room then out to lunch then I had a meeting at the school, now I'm writing an article! Ugh! So hectic."
Q: "What's your favorite subject?"
A: "If I had to choose a favorite, I'd probably go with Public Speaking. I'm really good at it and it's really interesting, but my least favorite would probably be math because of all the numbers; it gets so confusing and I feel really stupid because I can't do it right!"
Q: "Where did you go on your last vacation?"
A: "I can't remember the last time I actually 'went on a vacation,' which isn't really fair since I love traveling. But my junior year of high school, I went to New Orleans to visit family, which was really fun. I got to see a lot of really cool historical buildings and enjoy my time below sea-level."

If you cannot guess any of these, make sure to ask around or find the answers! I promise they're both well-known!

The most important rule in all of these games is to have fun! Don't be afraid to try them out at your next babysitting gig or family function!