Trendy Places To Study In Norman, Oklahoma

It's no Central Perk, but it will do.

581
About Face Magazine

As the Spring semester winds down, the stress and anxiety of large projects, long papers, and impending finals being to stir up. Studying doesn't have to be all bad, though. Here are some places around town that will actually make you want to do your homework.

1. Second Wind Coffee House

Campus Corner

Second Wind is a personal favorite because I love the message the shop sends, and the motive behind its operation. The First Presbyterian Church around the corner runs the coffee shop, and it is staffed with volunteers. The main mission of the shop is to provide "broke, college kids" with a relaxing atmosphere where they can study, talk, or just chill.

Their business is run entirely from donations, so although the menu items may have prices set next to them, you are more than welcome to give beyond that amount, or if you aren’t able to afford it, then you pay whatever amount you can spare. I so enjoy the loving and welcoming atmosphere of Second Wind, and I highly recommend checking it out.

2. Michelangelo’s Coffee & Wine Bar

East Main Street

This coffee and wine bar is the ideal place to meet up with your friends after church on Sunday afternoon or any other occasion when you want a more refined space. The shop offers live music four days a week, and it is always supporting local artists (which is why their art gallery features collections of solely local students and artists).

Creating a space that cherishes the local artist is a unique feature of Michelangelo’s, and it is so perfect when you need a caffeine boost or maybe something a little stronger for those of us "working adults".

3. The Screen Door Coffee & Entertainment

West Main Street

As a new business, maintaining a steady flow of service is difficult. The Screen Door opened in the Fall of 2016, but it already feels like a staple of Norman’s community. My favorite thing about this coffee shop is that they serve their drinks in an eclectic collection of mismatched mugs, so you never see two mugs exactly the same. (Maybe it’s just me, but I think that it’s pretty cute.)

The Screen Door has a vast collection of teas for you tea-lovers, as well as a great assortment of frozen and hot coffee drinks, all of which are excellent. (Also, the grilled PB&J is 10/10 would recommend.)

4. Syrup.

East Main Street

Syrup is a trendy brunch café for you sophisticated folks who eat breakfast at weird hours. The atmosphere is so warm and welcoming that you feel as if you could stay for hours just talking with the girls or meeting someone new. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but brunch is a close second, so why not start your homework day with a pancake or two, amiright or amiright?

5. Grey Owl Coffee

East Grey Street

If you wear Birkenstocks 25/8, only drink soy milk, or listen to The Head and The Heart, then Grey Owl is probably the best place for you to drink your coffee beverage of choice. It is a shop where the truly hipster people unite and/or congregate. The music selection is mellow enough to allow you to concentrate on your work but not so much so that it puts you to sleep.

The minimalist design allows for little to no distractions that may occur in louder shops that host live music or open mic nights. Grey Owl is the perfect place to create that "aesthetic" study vibe worthy of an Instagram post.

6. Crimson and Whipped Cream

Campus Corner

Conveniently located, Crimson and Whipped Cream is the perfect walking distance from campus, allowing students to get away from the crowded study centers in Bizzell or the Union, but still get their coffee fix. Yet, strangely enough, the distance actually turns a lot of students off from the location (which is even better for you because that means you can actually find a table to sit at!).

Crimson and Whipped Cream has all the coffee selections you desire, as well as baked goods to give you the extra sugar rush you need to finish that paper due in the morning. The atmosphere is very relaxed and homey, so you’ll be comfortable while you work (which is always a plus).

7. Teapioca Lounge

West Lindsey

Teapioca is a little different than the rest of the coffee shops, primarily because their coffee of choice is actually boba tea or "bubble tea". However, you coffee lovers can still get your caffeine boost because Teapioca offers iced coffee with boba (which is honestly the best of both worlds).

The bright colors of the shop make you feel energized and joyful, even while you write your five-page paper over the British Empire and haven’t slept in two days. Boba makes drinking your coffee, or tea, ten times more fun, too, if we’re being real here, so check out one (or all) of these locations, and finish the semester strong!