How To Make Traveling Inexpensive

How To Make Traveling Inexpensive

Whether it's going on a road trip or flying across the world, you can make it easier on your wallet with just these few tips!

11
How To Make Traveling Inexpensive
Carlin Desouza / Flickr

The New Year is here and people are starting to challenge themselves with resolutions. A popular and trending resolution is traveling more. While traveling has become a trend because of its many benefits, it has also become costly. If you're not careful you can rack up over hundreds and thousands of dollars in debt just from travel. From road trips to going overseas, here are a few ways that you can make your trip inexpensive!

1. Research for the best affordable trip!

When you're doing a road trip, you want to pick the best route that will hit all of your desired destinations and save you time and gas. Furkot is a great website to help you plan out your road trip. You can customize your trip with its many features including where you would like to stay and whether or not you want a guided tour. There is also the Roadtrippers app that you can download onto your phone to help you plan your trip!

When you're flying you obviously want the cheapest and most convenient tickets. I have found that using Kayak was my best bet for finding the right tickets for me. With a very easy-to-use design and the ability to compare tickets to other websites, it's been the most reliable website for me so far. Also, if you need a place to stay and eat, look into inclusive packages offered by hotels where you can get the most bang for your buck.

There are a bunch of other apps that you can download onto your phone to assist you before and during your travels. If you know what kind of trip you want to take, just look under the travel section of the app store.

2. Packing lightly saves money and time.

Roadtripping means that you'll be sitting in the same outfit for quite some time. It isn't necessary for you to pack a whole lot of clothes. What you should pack are enough snacks and water. That way you don't have to buy it along the way and it'll keep you satisfied for a few hours until your next meal. You should also pack blankets and pillows if you intend on sleeping in the car instead of in a motel or campground.

If you're flying, many airlines require for you to pay for your checked bags. However, your carry-on bag and "personal" bags are always free. Bring a good size backpack as your "personal" bag and a standard carry-on suitcase. You might not even need a full-size suitcase because the storage between a backpack and a carry-on suitcase is enough for a week-long vacation.

3. Go cheap on places to stay.

You really don't need an expensive place to stay. Traveling is more about experiencing wherever you are and its culture. As long as you have a clean, safe space for yourself to sleep in and use the bathroom, then you should be fine since you won't be in your room most of the time. For roadtrippers who don't want to sleep in their cars, I suggest looking into motels or, if you're feeling adventurous, campgrounds. These choices are more affordable than hotels, which can run from $80 to $200 in the United States. For flightgoers, I suggest looking into hostels and Airbnb as it is cheaper than hotels. Also, remember to always check reviews from previous travelers as well! Although it may be cheaper, it may not be an ideal place to stay.

4. Indulge in as many free things as possible.

As you travel around you may come across many areas which are picturesque and free to visit. Check out parks around the area that you're in or visit museums that have no admission costs. There are many free places to visit around wherever you are. If you're not sightseeing, places also offer free samples and activities for you to try out. All of these are great ways to immerse yourself in the community and its culture while keeping your wallet nice and full. It just requires a simple Google search and you're all set!

2016 is the year for traveling, but remember to not set yourself up for debt. Stay clear of the expensive trips and the credit card! These tips have helped immensely with my traveling so far and I know that they'll help you too. I bid you safe travels and a happy New Year!