10 Tips For Traveling On A Budget In 2018

How to travel smart and not go broke.

880
Photo by slon_dot_pics from Pexels

St. Augustine once said, “The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” Taking time away from work, breaking out of your normal routine, experiencing a different culture, and learning more about yourself are just a few of the benefits of visiting someplace new.

Unfortunately, nothing in this world is free and traveling is no exception. As an avid traveler, I know just how quickly a trip become overly-expensive if you don’t know how and where to look. Bearing this in mind, here are some tips to help you travel cheaply and ensure that your next trip stays within your price range.

1. Find a location that matches your budget

This should come as a no-brainer but cannot be overstated. Pick a country or region that has a favorable exchange rate and less expensive amenities. For example, traveling in Southeast Asia is going to be far less expensive than most places in Europe. Do your research and be open to something off the beaten path!

2. Do not travel during peak season

Traveling during the right time of year will make everything from flights to lodging less expensive. If you are able to handle slight changes in weather, you can get a great experience at a fraction of the cost. Just be aware that peak season is different for every country depending on the hemisphere and weather, so do your diligence beforehand.

3. Know how to shop for flights

If you keep your ear to the ground, there are many opportunities to buy flights that are well below market value. Be on the lookout for sales, subscribe to newsletters such as Scott’s Cheap Flights, and visit websites like slickdeals. Just last year, a co-worker of mine was able to fly round trip to Thailand for $650 on Singapore Airlines. There are many resources out there for travelers on a budget, so utilize them! Also be sure to take advantage of frequent flyer programs and rewards points so your current purchases work towards your next adventure!

4. Book in advance

Again, this should come as no surprise, but the further out you book, the better deals you can get. Plan ahead when possible and make sure that you are booking the most important pieces of your trip well in advance.

5. Stay in hostels and budget hotels

Let’s face it, during your travels, you will likely spend most of your time outside your room. All you need is a bed, a shower, and somewhere safe to keep your belongings. In addition to sites like Expedia, Kayak, or Travelocity, be sure to check out region-specific booking sites as well; Agoda for Southeast Asia travel is a great example. Many hostels and hotels also have an included breakfast, so load up before you go out for the day!

6. Spend money on experiences

We all know the sentiment – material possessions are temporary, experiences last a lifetime. Are you really going to wear and appreciate the “I heart Amsterdam” shirt even a month after your trip? Stay away from purchasing souvenirs and instead focus on experiences like renting snorkel gear, snowboarding, or taking a boat tour.

7. Find free activities

In pretty much any destination country, there are many free options for entertainment. Hiking, sightseeing, strolling through outdoor markets, and lounging on the beach are all free ways to familiarize yourself with your surroundings and have fun without spending a dime. TripAdvisor is going to be your best friend when it comes to finding these experience and getting helpful reviews.

8. Travel insurance

Although insurance seems like an unnecessary, additional cost, it can provide huge savings down the road. Travel insurance plans only cost between 5 and 10 percent of your total trip cost but will cover you cancellations, delays, and most importantly medical emergencies. According to a personal injury attorney in San Antonio,

Justin Hill, there is no guarantee that your regular health insurance will cover you while abroad in the event of an accident and it may be difficult to establish jurisdiction for a lawsuit if negligence was involved. This exact situation happened to my friend when his mother was struck by a taxi in Italy. Especially if you are engaging in more extreme outdoor behaviors like rock climbing or surfing, a small cost upfront can be worth it in the long run.

9. Walk and use public transportation

It may be tempting to take a taxi or use ridesharing services like Uber if they are available. While this may be more convenient, walking and public transportation options are generally cheaper and in certain countries, just as accessible as a car. Moreover, trains and buses are going to give you a more authentic experience overall.

10. Research and create your own itinerary

With all of the resources available on the internet, you should never need a travel agent. You can do all of this yourself! Whether it is finding the best flights and hotels to creating your own self-guided tour, many aspects of travel can be done for free with a little time and effort. Doing plenty of independent research will also give you a idea of prices so that you are not scammed out of money or overcharged.