The Rights of the Transgender Community At Risk

5 Gen Z Youths Speak Out Loud And Proud Against Trump's Attack On The LGBTQIA+ Community

As a community, we stand together and will NOT back down.

19
Pexels/Rosemary Ketchum
https://www.pexels.com/photo/people-rallying-on-street-1464223/

In a recent New York Times article, the new policy introduced by the Trump administration has gained a large amount of publicity within the LGBTQIA+ community. This policy, which will affect "1.4 million people of the transgender community", defines gender as a "biological, immutable condition determined by genitalia at birth." Many are speculating that this was a blatant yet discreet attack of the human rights of the transgender community.

Others say that it a petty attempt at once again un-purposely diminishing the acts done by Obama in his presidency where he loosened the constraints against gender within federal programs, such as education and healthcare. The rights argument is that the definition of gender needs to be "on a biological basis that is clear, grounded in science, objective and administrable." But the left has a different opinion, especially the youth of our nation: Gen Z.

1. "The Trump Administration's new policy has no reason or application." —Evan W., 17

"The Trump Administration's new policy has no reason or application besides being transphobic— or, that is, to single out people who are transgender and remove their identity from them. Psychology proves the identification of gender and uses the term to scientifically describe the inner sense of the gender spectrum, and removing the meaning of the word would extremely complicate things for everyone. It wouldn't make people who are transgender stop existing, it's pointless other than being discouraging and somewhat cruel and restrictive."

2. "...He should stop attacking everyone who is different from him..." — Jacob J., 15

"As a transgender kid myself, it hurts me. I feel as though Trump doesn't understand the concept of being transgender and how transgender people feel. To be honest, when he passed the bathroom law, it affected me because Georgia said that I couldn't use the boy's bathroom, but I thought it would stop there. He keeps attacking, not only transgender people but the whole LGBTQIA+ community.

I understand freedom of speech, but he still shouldn't take away basic human rights. I mean we're all supposed to created equal, but he's basically taking my equal rights away, I guess you could say. It's also hard with the military ban because I really wanted to go into the military when I was older. I just feel like he should stop attacking everyone who is different from him, not just LGBTQIA+ people, but anyone who disagrees with him and stuff like that, you know?"

3. "If Trump applies the bill in the way that he says, it will be disastrous" —Olivia M., 16

"I think that the new bill will be unbeneficial to the trans community, but because I see the appeal that this would have as well. This would help people medically if a trans person who was ever sick in the hospital that would need vital information like this for their doctors to better treat them. I think if Trump applies the bill the way that he says, it will be disastrous. But if there were an alternative, such as something that marks that someone is transgender on their papers, then I believe it would be a bit more acceptable to the general public."

4. "Trump is hateful towards anyone who isn't like him..." — Finn T., 17

"I think the entire Trump situation is childish on his behalf. While I don't necessarily have an opinion, I think it's extremely unfair to the transgender and LBGTQIA+ community in general. Even if people riot or protest — or try any sort of petition to change it, it more than likely won't happen because he is the president and he has the final say in Congress. Trump is hateful towards anyone who isn't like him, whether it be nationality, religion and now gender. The new 'gender law' is ridiculous."

5. "He needs to understand that one's gender is not an issue"— Lucie V.,16

"Trump's policy is biased and has no application aside from the making of anti-LGBT arguments from Trump and his administration. His ideas about gender and sex are dehumanizing to those who identify as transgender, and as a member of the LGBT community myself, I feel that it's an attack on all of us, even if it isn't everyone's identity at stake. The way Trump is accomplishing his agenda is childish and dated. He needs to understand that one's gender is not an issue the government needs to be taking sides on.

Aside from my moral objection to his policies, anyone could see the possible effects that the invalidation of transgender identities could lead to. Forcing transgender individuals to be seen as their assigned gender they were given at birth could easily lead to increased hate crime, home and workplace discrimination, and difficulties obtaining necessary medical resources. It's time someone stands up to Trump's immaturity and ignorance and stop allowing his attacks on LGBT individuals, specifically those who are transgender."

Overall, this new policy has stirred up outrage among the youth and the upcoming generations of the LGBTQIA+ community. Many have pointed out the possible benefits of this policy, however, it is also highly recognized that these benefits are minuscule compared to the damage that it brings. Personally, I believe that before there are any policies made regarding this community, there should be a direct action of consideration of trans people and the lives that they lead.

Majority of the people in charge of making this decision, whether their intentions be ill-willed or in good faith, have no clue on the challenges and obstacles that this community has to overcome in order to progress in society. This is not going to be the only fight that the LGBTQIA+ community has to fight with the Trump Administration, but the youth are making sure that the consequences that the Trump Administration has to face for these attacks are not going unnoticed.