20 Ways To Transform Your Dorm Room

20 Ways To Transform Your Dorm Room

16. A Mirror that's More
212

Welcome to the spring semester!

If you're like me you probably went an entire semester without properly decorating your dorm room. Maybe you have a little extra cash from the holidays and want to pick up something cute for your room. I scoured Pinterest, Tumblr, and YouTube and found all of the best decors picks and hacks to make your dorm perfectly you.

1. String Lights

This is a given. Add a little light to your room by adding some string lights. I bought battery operated ones so I don't have to worry about finding an outlet or an extension cord. Put them around your windows or above your bed to give your dorm a cozy feel.

2. Wallcoverings

Dorm rooms aren't exactly known for having nicely painted walls. Mandala tapestries are easy to come by for cheap on Amazon with thousands of prints to choose from.

3. Corkboard Map

For the girl with wanderlust, this is for you. Tack up pictures from past travels aligning with the destinations, or just use it as a space to keep all of your little notes organized.

4. Plants

Adding something alive (or not) can really liven up a room. Buy a fake plant from the dollar store and put it in a nice looking empty glass bottle. If you're allowed, get an aloe plant or some succulents. They're really hardy and won't die if you forget about them for a few days.

5. Pictures

Frames not needed. Using clothespins, twine, and thumbtacks you can hang every pic of your besties from back home on your walls.

6. Desk Lamp

Essential if you want to stay up studying while your roommate sleeps. Find something sleek and bright that matches the rest of your decor.

7. Artwork

Whether it's yours or painted by someone else, adding a splash of color or a painting that you enjoy to your walls gives a room some depth and tells people what you're in to.

8. Throw Pillows

Throw pillows are a great way to add some color or a cute quote to your bed. You can make your own by using iron-on printer paper or find one in store.

9. Canvas Wall Hangings

Another way to show off your favorite quotes. They can easily be hung on thumbtacks or Command Strips, depending on whats allowed in your dorm.

10. Rugs

Cover up the drab linoleum with something that feels soft and looks nice.

11. Customizable signs

Start your own #qotd in your dorm.

12. Weekly planner wall sticker

You and your roomies will have a convenient place to put your class schedules and grocery reminders. Also, a good place to write any passive-aggressive comments.

13. Wooden letters

Show off your initials with wooden letters found at any craft store. Embrace the natural finish or decorate yourself with acrylic paints.

14. Bed risers

Raising your bed will give you more storage space which equals less clutter. Your room will look homey without looking lived in.

15. Band posters

Show off your superior taste in music by hanging up vinyl album covers or picture from your favorite bands.

16. A mirror that's more

Choose a mirror that doubles as a piece of art. It'll bring a little more personalization while also covering up a boring wall.

17. Bookshelves

Whether it's a place to keep all of your textbooks organized or a place to store all of your books, show off what you're into, and save some space for knick-knacks.

18. Plastic storage containers

For under the bed storage buy containers in fun colors that match your theme. If you have clear containers, line them with cloth or cover in washi tape to add color and also hide what you're storing.

19. Wall decals

Wall decals are a great way to cover walls without having to hang anything.

20. Corkboards

Corkboards are relatively cheap and easy to find. Use them to hang accessories, postcards, or pictures.

Just because you're away from home doesn't mean your dorm has to feel like it. Take these ideas and transform your dorm room from something boring to something beautiful.