How To Successfully Transfer Colleges

Transferring Colleges Was Terrifying, But The Best Decision I've Made

Change has always been an intimidating word in my vocabulary. However, change is inevitable.

227
Makayla Castle

When I was in my senior year of high school deciding on where to spend the next four years of my life, I thought that I had it all figured out. I was going to attend Eastern Illinois University, study Music Education, have a blast, and make the most out of my college experience. I was excited about college because it was all so new, and a fresh start.

I never thought that I would become a transfer student. I was entering my freshman year as a Panther and I was going to graduate as a Panther. I loved EIU and had a great experience there for the most part. However, the negatives started to outweigh the positives. After being told I wasn't good enough from professors, constant drama with floormates and "friends", and not feeling like I was being challenged enough, it was time for me to move on to bigger and better things.

I was scared to transfer, but it was extremely terrifying. I didn't want to have to restart to whole college experience again.

I started to fill out my application to Illinois State University, but it wasn't until the fall semester of my sophomore year that I had the courage to send it in.

I wasn't worried about getting accepted. I had the grades, involvement, and commitment they were looking for. I could transfer anywhere that I had my mind set on. However, I was ready to move closer back home and have the support of my family while I was trying to juggle life.

In a matter of hours, I got accepted and it was time for me to start writing this new chapter of life. I, of course, had to break the news to my friends that I was leaving, and my mom and dad that I was moving back home. Everyone was extremely supportive of my decision and wanted the best for me. All I had left to do was pack up my dorm and convince myself that change is good.

During my life, I have always been scared to venture out and change. The unknown has always been a setback and caused me to not step outside of my comfort zone. However, transferring to a university that was twice the size of what I was used to, having to meet new friends and faces, and starting this new adventure caused me to embrace change.

Until I transferred to ISU, I never knew how much I could fall in love with a place, especially a college. I was unaware of how much pride I had for my school, and I am so undeniably proud to be a Redbird. I was terrified of change and starting fresh, but it was exactly what I needed. Change is inevitable, but it can be such a beautiful thing. If I would have never transferred, I wouldn't have the amazing opportunities that I do today like writing for Odyssey, rebuilding friendships, becoming involved in new SRO's, and having the chance to see new faces every single day. I am so glad that I decided to transfer, finish the chapter of my time at EIU, and start this new adventure.

So, the next time that you are scared about making a life changing decision, do it, because you could be missing out on so many life changes. Change is terrifying, but amazing at the same time.