successful transfer student

The Ultimate Guide for a UMD transfer student

Anxious about the new semester? I got you covered

101
https://www.everypixel.com/search?q=umd&stocks_type=&meaning=&media_type=0&page=1&image_id=17536067224340997976

Being a transfer student at UMD is definitely a life-changing experience. I went to a community college that was the size of like two buildings at UMD, and the change was an overwhelming experience but so worth it. I am here to help with this back to school guide!

Talk to your classmates/ introduce yourself 

One of best things I did was just simply introduce myself to my classmates. I explained that I am transfer student/ new to UMD. It turned out that person was a transfer student too! We already begun debating about community colleges and university experiences. So be a fearless terp and just say hi! Chances are someone is in a similar position as you!

meet up with old friends 

During the first few weeks of school I met up with my community college friends that transferred with me and some of my old high school friends. It's a nice feeling with someone you know that went through the same process as you and continued to stay in touch. It's also a great way to meet new people as well, your friend's friends can become your friends! Aren't friends great?

Join TOCSL and other clubs/ activities 

One of my favorite communities ever on campus was TOCSL, and I have met so many wonderful people! In fact, I have a group of friends that meet once a month at the TOCSL "Good Morning Commuters" where you can chill with your friends and get free breakfast food. Those Chocolate muffins and Apple cider drinks are life. So go join TOCSL and also check out the First Look Fair for more information about TOCSL and like million other clubs and activities at UMD, so you're college experience can be more enjoyable one!

Hit the ground Running with academics/ study buddies and tutors 

Of course, there should be times to have fun and blow off some stress but it's essential to pay attention to your studies, and it's helpful to have some friends to study with/ tutors. Maryland has so many opportunities. It is made for you to excel in your work and find your passion. So get started as soon as possible when the semester begins. You'll thank me later

Be Positive 

I recommend staying positive or at least attempt to. As a transfer student, I know it can be overwhelming experience but you will fall in love with UMD and this will be an incredible experience. So don't worry Terps! You'll make it through this alright

As long as you follow this guide, I can guarantee that your time as a transfer student will be something that you will look back and smile! Welcome to Maryland and this is your chance to be a #fearlessterp.