I Will Never Trade My Curly Hair For Anything

My curls are a part of who I am and I will never take them for granted.

419
Photo by João Silas on Unsplash

If you know me well, you would know that I have extremely curly blonde hair. I have had this type of hair ever since I was a baby. Of course, I wasn't born with a full head of hair. I was a redhead when I was a baby which is hard to believe, but I swear it's true! Little curls started to appear on my head as I was growing up and the curls turned blonde naturally. When I was little, I had a full head of curls that was like an afro and it evolved into a head of long blonde luxurious curls.

Growing up, I remember strangers randomly coming up to me and telling me how beautiful my hair was. It was like they had never seen my hair type before. Even today, sometimes strangers will touch my hair without my permission and honestly, it's just extremely rude and violating even though I know they don't mean it to be. I personally don't like it when strangers or anyone to touch my hair, especially without my consent. You never know what could be on their hands – there could be millions of germs and I don't want those nasty germs on my curls. Big no-no.

People would ask me if my hair was real or if I dyed my hair and I would tell them: "My hair is real. The curls, the color, the style is all natural." I don't think dying your hair is healthiest for it so I personally try to steer clear of it. Also, the color of my hair is insane and I don't want that to go away – there are different shades of blondes ranging from golden blonde to light blonde.

Many people will ask me if I have ever straightened my hair and how long it will take. To straighten my hair, it takes about five hours to do the whole process. First, the stylist has to wash my hair and put in an array of products, including a deep conditioning, and then even more conditioner. Curly hair can be very dry so I go through conditioner like its water. After that process, I have to be under the dryer for like a million hours and it's borderline unbearable.

Next, the stylist has to wash off all the conditioner they put in my hair and blow-dry my hair. Then, the stylist straightens my hair which takes about another hour. I have to admit, the end result really does look amazing and it almost makes me look like a completely different person. Whenever people see me, I get compliments ranging from "You look like Barbie!" to "Omg is that you Caroline?"

Many ask me if I would ever use keratin or some type of treatment that will make my hair straight forever. And to be honest, I will never do this because my hair makes me who I am. People notice me because of my hair. They can see my hair from very far away and know that it's me.

For a while, I hated the attention that I got from my hair but I started to love my locks as I got older. I started to take good care of it by buying products that are good for my hair and made sure that taking care of my hair became part of my daily routine. I started to appreciate my hair because it makes me, me. Having curly hair became a part of me that I will never get rid of.