A Track-By-Track Review of Harry Styles' New Solo Album

This album deserves all of the grammys.

287
Rolling Stone Magazine

If you did not know recently Harry Styles of One Direction released his first ever solo album. This album is the first album that has been released since the band decided to go on a break two years ago. To be technical on time here, the fans of One Direction have not heard Harry's voice since 2015 since their On The Road Again Tour. That is a really long time and everyone, including me, have been waiting for this day to come. Honestly, this article might be completely biased as I am a huge fan of Harry's. I will not lie to you when I say as much as I love Zayn Malik, I like Harry's album ten times more because Harry's music is more of my taste than Zayn's is. Also, I could not relate to any of Zayn's songs although I still jam to them from time to time. The album has a total of ten songs, so, here is a track by track review of each song.

1. Meet Me In The Hallway

This is the firs track of the album and it starts off very soft and has a huge Pink Floyd vibe coming from it as do some other songs on the album. I am not quite sure what Harry is speaking about in this song but it sounds mysterious. This song also has a hint of a psychedelic element to it that makes it feel like you are looking through a kaleidoscope. Honestly, if Pink Floyd and The Beatles had a baby this song would be the love child.

2. Sign Of The Times

I saw this song as a time of empowerment and fulfillment and after doing some quick research, I found out this song is actually about a mother who has five minutes to live. The baby will be okay but the mother will die and the baby has to go forth and live on. Which, in this case of going forth and uplifting makes the song meaningful. I really enjoy the lyric "Remember everything will be alright" and I actually might get it tattooed on my arm sometime soon. This song is Harry's first single and honestly I knew all the words the first day it came out. This song is actually my shower jam.

3. Carolina

This song has The Beatles vibe written all over it. Harry did come out and say it was about someone because he mentions her name. However nobody can tell if the girls name is Town or Carolina. It is a really weird song but has a fast upbeat tempo that makes it a total bop. Another song that has a bit of sexual innuendos in it. But anyway, along with probably the whole album I would blast this with all the windows down.

4. Two Ghosts

Honestly you could just rip my actual heart out because that would hurt less than this song. This song makes me so sad and hits home like From The Dining Table. I also just want to know who hurt Harry this bad, I just want to talk. This song is filled with lyrics that are absolutely just genius. For example "We're just two ghosts swimming in a glass that's half empty." or "We're not who we used to be, we're just two ghosts standing in the place of you and me." and "Just trying to remember how it feels to have a heartbeat." That last lyric just tears my heart apart (no pun intended) but WHO HURT HIM!?!

5. Sweet Creature

This song actually was Harry's second single and I fell in love with it instantly. With its soft acoustic indie vibe it instantly calms you. Harry sings about the little complications a relationship can have like arguing and being stubborn but that is what makes you, well, you. This song is weirdly uplifting because it talks about arguing and being sad but Harry also knows that it will work out and that is the beautiful part about the lyrics and this certain situation, things work out in the end.

6. Only Angel

This song actually confused the living crap out of me. The song starts out angelic with the ending of Sign Of The Times if you listen closely the piano pattern is the same from the previous song. Then all of a sudden breaks out into a powerful, surprise rock attack. This song actually just makes me want to get up off the couch and dance around the house. I could also see myself taking a road trip during the summer with all the windows down and putting this song on full blast. You are welcome world.

7. Kiwi

Kiwi by far is my favorite song on the entire album. Especially when I get to scream "I think she said I'm having your baby, it's none of your business." It is a strange song but it sounds very early 90's rock and roll. Another song I would put on full blast in my car. With the intense guitar vibes this song sounds very grunge worthy, something I would definitely head bang to, or you know just flip my hair everywhere. I just have one question, why is the song called Kiwi if there is no mention of a kiwi? unless I am missing something here it is quite peculiar.

8. Ever Since New York

Another soft acoustic indie vibe song. Harry actually performed this on Saturday Night Live when they went worldwide a few weeks ago. I was surprised that this was not going to be his next single because this has to be another favorite of mine. I also knew most of the words to this song before I knew any of the others. A lot of people are speculating that this song is about Taylor Swift, to be honest I do not care nor do I think that is what it is about. Harry spends a lot of time in New York so I feel this song has another meaning that is deeper. To add to this meaning I feel like there is something happening with the lyric "Tell me something I don't already know" maybe someone lied and they found out. Who knows it is an awesome song and it was wonderful to watch on SNL.

9. Woman

This song has so much sexual frustration and angst I could sense it a mile away. The way Harry speaks about a woman and is so dominant and assertive releases the inner woman in yourself. There is a weird quirk to this song at the beginning when Harry uses his "American" accent. The beat to this song is weird too but in a good way. I could definitely see myself putting my makeup on to this song and feeling like an absolute queen. If Harry ever did sing this song to me I am 100% positive that my knees would go weak instantly.

10. From The Dining Table

Fun fact if you did not know this song starts off talking about masturbation in a hotel room. I do not know why that was the subject matter but anyway, this song is hauntingly beautiful. The song speaks about the struggles of being in a relationship, especially a long distance relationship. The whole song is sung in a soft almost whisper, and then the most beautiful harmony happens in the middle of the song. If you didn't know what heaven sounds like just skip to the middle and you will get a great sense of what it is. This song really hits home for me but in a different way with a friendship especially with the lyric "maybe one day you'll call me, and tell me that you're sorry too, but you, you never do." heart wrenchingly beautiful.