Toxicity Of Safe Spaces

Toxicity Of Safe Spaces

Safe spaces pose a threat.

34
Toxicity Of Safe Spaces
Wordpress

Finding the right words to describe something so blunt is not easy but it needs to be done and it needs to be addressed. A safe space, a place, where a person can go in order to feel distant from any threat or opposing view because the world might be a little too difficult for them. Many people have their thoughts and feelings about safe spaces and these thoughts and ideas either support of go against having Safe Spaces.

Regardless, everyone has a different, but let paint the picture and create a shared understanding about safe spaces and define them. The idea has been around for since the 60s and it’s considered a very liberal movement because it started as place to go where you’re not judged. Furthermore, it’s even been talked about that the concept originated from feminist and gay activist who felt in need of an escape from those who criticized them.

Needless to say, it’s very clear that the movement is closely related to “Political Correctness,” which is also a hot topic in the modern political spectrum but now let’s get down to the meat and potatoes of why safe spaces are actually toxic to our society and to our future.

First, imagine a place wealthy in knowledge and resources. A place where diversity is encouraged and people from all walks of life strive to go to in order to better themselves. This kind of place is the source for future ideas and inventions of tomorrow. These ideas are brought to life when people come together in order to share knowledge and cultural experiences. The picture I’m drawing to paint is a university.

A university serves as a primary location where people come together to improve themselves in many different ways. They further their education through the pursuit of knowledge and personal growth that occurs through experiences. Students are expected to be challenged with both academic and social obstacles and they are expected to learn and overcome these challenges. The challenges vary from learning a foreign language and embracing themselves into a completely different culture. Regardless, ideas and experiences are expected to collide at university.

A Safe Space is exactly the opposite of what the purpose of an educational institution is for because students do not attend a university to get away from opposing views but to learn from them. A safe space does the opposite because the concept is to get away from opposing views and seek out more common minded people. Thus creating a place where all narrow minded people can come together and segregate all opposing views and new behavior.

Now wait a minute, wasn’t this a liberal movement to begin with? That makes no sense, because a liberal by definition is, “Not opposed to new ideas or ways of behaving that are not traditional or widely accepted.” That’s the simple definition according to the Webster dictionary. Now let’s put this together in order to ensure the picture is painted clear.

So much for a political group that accepts new ideas, but instead creates a concept that encourages people to distance themselves from opposing views and ideas. Regardless, if these views are widely accepted or traditional they are different and instead of encouraging people to attempt to understand and them they encourage them to do quite the opposite.

Therefore, the Safe Space concept is pure toxicity in a place that encourages the gathering of ideas and views because the formula of the safe space is to get away from ideas and behaviors that are different. This, without a doubt takes people down a road of pure intolerance. They are not looking encourage new ideals and behavior but to instead patronize others for having opposing views and behaviors.

Now, if you ask me, the safe space has no place in a university, however a Safe Place in grade school where kids are at a young age and have yet to understand or be taught the basic idea of empathy and maturity. This all comes down to home training, because it’s a parent or guardian’s responsibility to teach their child how to cooperate with others and fit into society.333

If anyone requires a “safe space,” it definitely is their own responsibility to create one and they can start in their own private property or home, but it should not be on public property because it and will hinder progression. The idea of an open mind begins with the willingness to accept or understand new views. Regardless, if they are different or challenge yours.

In conclusion, the concept of having a safe space has no place in higher level educational institutions but instead in a person’s home. Where they’re able to think, express, and pray to whoever and whatever source they choose. All things considered, higher level institutions are places where ideals and beliefs should be challenged in order to create and inspire a higher level of thinking or broader view of society and the world.