To The Town That Built Me

To The Town That Built Me

No one could ever replace you.

21
To The Town That Built Me

No one tells you how special your hometown is.

No one tells you that once you leave, you’ll find yourself wishing you could drive down the main streets you’ve driven down a million times. That you’ll long for the comfort of the familiar scenery or even the simplicity and warmth of your favorite high school classrooms. At least, no one told me.

With Thanksgiving, only days away, I’ve begun to realize how lucky I am to have so many people and places to miss. And since I won’t be joining you all for break this year, I thought I would use this article to let you all know how thankful I am for you.

To My Friends:

So far you all are killing it in college, having the time of your lives and I couldn’t be happier for you. I know classes, homework and life can be stressful, but we’ve made it this far, and seemingly okay. Life is a lot different than it was when we walked across that stage together in June, and that’s okay. But I just want to remind you of a few things that were true then, that are still true now.

No one could ever replace you.

We’ve been through years of memories that could never be topped. From sitting in AP Biology doing absolutely everything BUT learn biology. To getting made fun of by my guy friends every day for everything, but also, them always knowing when something wasn’t okay; and having my back when I needed it.

Thank you to my “in school” friend, who quickly became the person I could turn to for anything imaginable.

Thank you to the friend I fought with every 6 months, because no matter how much we disagree, you’ll always know me better than anyone.

Thank you to my teammates, who never seemed to lose sight of our friendship. Even when we weren't on the same team anymore.

Thank you to my friend who matches my obsession with Harry Potter and Superheroes, and who taught me how to perfect sarcasm and to this day can understand anything I’m going through.

Thank you to my friend with the biggest heart, for always pushing me and encouraging me in every aspect, especially when it comes to ice cream, and for sending me the perfect puppy videos when I’m having a bad day.

Thank you to the friends who I spent countless summer nights with. From searching for tents, just to end up being too scared to sleep in them. To all our terrible Vines we made freshman year, and all the unforgettable memories in between. Thank you for being there for me since my first days in our hometown.

Who knew such a small town could hold so many memories. You all have a place in my heart that I didn’t even know existed. Thank you for making me better every single day for the past 10 years, and for still only being a FaceTime or frantic 3 am text away. You all don’t know how much that means to me.

Honestly, thanks for just being you, day in and day out.

While you’re all together over break-take a moment to appreciate all the wonderful and special friendships that have been made over the years. Cherish each other as much as I do.

Meanwhile, I’ll be counting down the days until Winter Vacation and wishing for one last walk up from Sher-Le-Mon with each one of you.