To the Unicorns of the World

To the Unicorns of the World

Be proud of your rare and genuine heart.

3
To the Unicorns of the World
Getty Images

I know you. I recognize your face in the mirror and every inch of your tired shoulders that seem to carry the weight of the world. I have felt the warm tears spill over your cheeks and tasted the pain of living like you do. I know you because I am you.

I am the sleepless nights that you spend wondering why and I am the early mornings when you decide to try again. Never lose that. Your persistence is beautiful and your ability to still see the good in people is precious. Not many people today have that and the world is a better place because of the few like you. I know how hard you work just to stay positive every day and how exhausting it is to have a heart like yours in a world like this.

Keep spending time attempting to make this world a better place and to make this world beautiful again. Don’t ever allow this world to harden you, and Lord knows it will try. You will feel every day like you’re being kicked while you’re down. People will spit in your face and try time and again to crush your spirit. You can’t allow them to win. Remember why you do what you do. Remember that even the smallest light can illuminate the darkest room. That’s what you bring to this world; hope. The few like you are the last little bit of hope this world has, and the struggle is worth it.

Continue to smile at strangers, talk to animals, and stop just to stare at the sky because you know you’ve never seen something so beautiful even though you look at it every day. Continue to cross oceans for people who wouldn’t jump puddles for you. I know it’s hard. I know it’s one of the most painful experiences you’ll ever have, but remember that you never know the experiences of others. You may very well be the only light they have and the only ounce of goodness that they’ve seen in a while. Do it for that reason. Do it because you know it’s the right thing. Find happiness in spreading joy. Find happiness in spreading love. And when it has been a rougher day than you ever imagined and you don’t feel like going on, find comfort in God.

Remember that it is okay for you to take a break and to isolate yourself for a while just to regain your energy; just don’t let it be forever. Don’t give up living the way you do and loving as fiercely as you do. You are so rare and this world is in desperate need of more people like you. Be proud of your genuine heart. Keep spreading the light and embracing everyone with both arms wide open. Live so that at the end of every day you can be at peace in knowing that you brought a little more love to the world and that you made it even just a little bit brighter. You are making a difference.