A Guide To The Total Solar Eclipse Over Georgia

Here are some important things to know before the big day.

22
Army Mil

Monday, August 21, 2017: school absences are excused, elementary school buses are delayed, and families are taking a vacation to watch the phenomenon. You may have heard the recent buzz over the upcoming solar eclipse, but for those of you who don't know much about it, here it is!

Why is it such a big deal?

We will not experience a total solar eclipse until April 8th, 2024. Unlike a regular solar eclipse, the moon and sun are positioned in such a way that the moon covers the sun completely. This particular total eclipse ranges from coast to coast, South Carolina to Oregon. At any point on the path of totality, which is only 70 miles wide, the moon will completely cover the sun, resulting in a pitch black sky in the middle of the day. In all other parts of the United States, this would appear as a regular eclipse, not a total eclipse.

Is Georgia in the path of totality?

Not quite, but close. South Carolina and cities closer to Georgia’s northern border fall in the path of totality, so use your day off as an excuse to take a road trip! Some places you can go are:

1. Baldwin

2. Blairsville

3. Blue Ridge

4. Clarkesville

5. Clayton

6. Cleveland

7. Hartwell

8. Helen

9. Hiawassee

10. McCaysville

11. Rabun Gap

12. Sky Valley

13. Tallulah Falls

14. Toccoa

15. Young Harrie

Be sure to check out local and state parks for celebrations and glasses. For just a few dollars, parks are offering admission to food truck festivals, parking with the best view, and a good time!

Can I just wear sunglasses?

NO! Looking directly at the sun can result in blindness. It is crucial to use any NASA approved glasses to guarantee your safety. Reference an approved list of reputable vendors to make sure you genuinely protect your eyes.

So stay safe, and enjoy this rare phenomenon that the universe allowed us, Earthlings, to be fortunate enough to witness!