Don’t Have a Green Thumb?

If you do not have a green thumb, then you can still be a successful gardener. You can grow vegetables, herbs, flowers and many other things that will be the envy of your neighborhood. Here are some tips that you may want to follow.

Choose the Right Plants

You need to choose plants and seeds that will do well in your environment. Look for plants that have sturdy stems as they usually have a better root structure allowing them to support a taller healthier plant without toppling over. Choosing heirloom varieties that were developed in your local area often allows for a more bountiful and flavorful harvest. Leaves on seedlings should have a consistent color and look healthy.

Plant Correctly

Start by choosing the right area to plant your seedlings by knowing if they thrive in full sun, partial sun or shade. Read the instructions to find out how deep they need to be planted. Know how far apart to plant your seedlings. After a few weeks, you may need to thin them allowing the strongest plants more room to mature. Make sure to plant at the right time as some plants can handle a light frost while others cannot.

Water as Needed

Watch your garden to make sure that it is getting enough water. Usually, the first plants to wilt are those with big leaves, so make sure to keep a special eye on those. Water as close to the ground as possible as it allows the water to seep into the ground. In return, your plants will develop a deeper root structure which helps the roots escape from the hot ground in the summer. Applying two to three inches of mulch around plants often helps keep water trapped in and your plants thriving.

Feed the Plants

Your plants are likely to need fertilizer throughout the growing season. It is vital to choose the right type of fertilizer by dealing with a company, like Micro Bros, that has many different choices. Generally, if too much nitrogen is available, then your plants do not take on enough other nutrients to thrive. Phosphorus is essential for root growth while potassium helps plants resist diseases. Additionally, your plants are likely to need calcium, sodium and magnesium.

When you use these simple tips, no one will ever know that you have a brown thumb. Your garden will look beautiful and healthy all summer long.