11 Ways To Know You're From New Jersey

I am a South Jersey Native that relocated to South Carolina about 10 years ago. Now that I have been around the south for quite some time I've had the chance to notice a lot of differences between myself and the locals. These are my top 11 ways you know you are a true Jersian.

Its pork roll,  not taylor ham

Growing up in South Jersey pork roll was everywhere and quite a common thing to eat. You’ll be used to finding it on your egg and cheese breakfast bagel. It was a shock to me when I realized that there is only ONE grocery store in my area that even carried it. What made things even worse is nobody even knew what it was.

The Eagles are the it team, end of discussion

The title of this one says it all. Even our public schools have Eagles Spirit Day. There is nothing like walking out of a Wawa on a Sunday during football season and hearing someone say "Go Birds!". There is no other football team that has such die-hard fans!

Everyone thinks you scream when you talk

I can't tell you how many times people have told me to calm down when I wasn't even yelling. It's a Jersey Thing.

Having at least 5 Wawas in your town

Wawa is your everyday pit stop. I never imagined living in a place where Wawa wasn't a 5 min drive. Now that I have to live without it trust me when I say Wawa is a necessity! Whether it be coffee, a cheese bagel, or their annual hoagie fest, Wawa has never let me down.

Going Down the “Shore”

Summers are spent "down the shore" not "at the beach". Laying in the sand and catching waves during the day while hitting the boardwalk at night. Wildwood was the one with the best rides and made for summers that you would never forget!

Mischief Night is a Thing

I always assumed mischief night was known everywhere, which is not the case. For those of you who do not know what Mischief night is, it is on October 30th the night before Halloween. On this night your house could fall victim to being egged, teepeed, or even a smashed mailbox.

You’ve Never Pumped Your Own Gas

20. Regular. Cash. These are the words you say to the gas station attendant as you pull up at the pump. We do not pump our gas and if you asked me to do it before I moved, I would not know what to do.

South Jersey is TOTALLY Separate from North Jersey

Although New Jersey is considered one state, we drew our own lines. North Jersey is NOT South Jersey and vice versa. Some people even try to say there's such a thing as Central Jersey. South Jersey is better- it just is.

You’re a Pizza Snob

Just like Wawa, there are also local pizza joints at every corner. If you've never eaten pizza in Jersey, I feel sorry for you. With all of the Italians in the area, we are definitely spoiled with some delicious pies.

Philly (Philadelphia) is Your City

You want a night out with friends? Just hop on the Patco speed line to Philly! You have a great variety of food, tons of bars and clubs, historic landmarks, and so much more. You will never run out of things to do!

It’s a Hoagie NOT a “Sub”

Hoagies are deli meat(s) and cheese on a roll. Other states refer to the sandwich as a sub.

People from South Jersey are one of a kind.