The Top 10 Songs That Defined My January

Music can define your life.

216

If you have been reading my articles, you have probably learned by now that I absolutely adore music. I'm usually always listening, and can frequently be found with headphones in. Since I am always trying to discover new music to listen to, I began keeping a playlist of new songs I find each month. I started doing this in September, and have continued it on through January. I love doing this because the songs will always define a certain time, place, and mood for me. Some playlists contain more songs than others, but no matter what, I always try to add a song per day.

So, if there are 31 days in the month, I try to add at least 31 songs to the playlist. My January 2018 playlist on Spotify currently contains 46 songs. Although I like each of this 46 songs for some reason or another, here are my top ten songs on my playlist from this month:

10. "Same Soul" by Pvris

Pvris is a band that I have heard about a lot the past few years. I've always heard good things about them, but really never got the chance to listen to them. "Same Soul" was released on their 2017 album, "All We Know of Heaven, All We Need of Hell." I discovered this song through the Release Radar playlist on Spotify, and I fell in love with it. It's a song with an exceptional beat, and lead singer Lynn Gunn's voice is nothing short of beautiful. Plus, female-lead pop-punk bands are hard to come by, with the exception of Tonight Alive and Paramore, so I really admire this.

9. "Carbis Bay" by Moose Blood

Moose Blood is a band that I've seen live twice. They're a talented band from the UK. This song is actually off of their debut 2013 EP entitled "Moving Home." Although this song is now five years old, and Moose Blood has significantly improved since their debut, this song is an example of a classic pop-punk song, with the lyrics,

"Let's stay until the sun goes down and talk about records
drink until we're drunk.. don't worry, we are young
We'll talk about what's important
like your favorite Dashboard song.."

8. "Berenstein" by the band CAMINO

I had never heard of this band before and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this song when it began playing on my Discover Weekly playlist. The beginning of the song sounds like it's straight out of "Stranger Things," which allowed me to like it even more since it reminded me of one of my favorite TV shows. Definitely, give this song a listen.

7. "B" by Jaden Smith

My best friend showed me this song during the break whilst driving in the car, and upon initial listen, I wasn't a huge fan. However, I wanted to give it a chance. I have now listened to the song so many times, and I love it. This song comes off of his November 2017 album "Syre," and features his sister, Willow, singing the opening verses. Let's just say that Willow's voice has significantly improved since "I Whip My Hair Back and Forth." Please listen to this song, you won't regret it.

6. "Atlas" by COIN

COIN has been featured on one of my monthly playlists before, with their song "Talk Too Much." All of their songs are extremely catchy. Although I had never heard of them before "Talk Too Much," I would consider myself a fan now. Once again, I believe I heard this song on the Release Radar playlist before adding it to my own playlist so I could hear it again and not get lost in my Songs library.

5. "Alfie's Song (Not So Typical Love Song) by Bleachers

Bleachers has slowly but surely became on one of my favorite artists. I used to only know of them because of "I Wanna Get Better," but have come to realize how truly talented Jack Antonoff is. This song appears on the soundtrack for the upcoming movie "Love, Simon."

4. "Another Night on Mars" by The Maine

The Maine is a severely underrated band. I saw them on tour for their album "American Candy," in which this song appears on, in 2015. This song has an addictive beat, and I highly recommend listening to this song. And maybe also listening to Tthe Maine in general.

3. "Heaven's Gate" by Fall Out Boy

I did not expect to find myself listening to FOB's new album, "M A N I A," but "Heaven's Gate" is a great song. If you listen to any song off of the new album from the former pop-punk kings, listen to this one. I thoroughly enjoy the beat of the song. However, for anyone hoping it sounds like FOB hearkening back to the good ol' days of a sound like "Sugar We're Goin' Down," that is not what this song is. I'm sad to report that FOB has taken on an entirely new role and has fully strayed away from their old roots.

2. "Paradise" by George Ezra

Yeah, George Ezra, you know...the guy that sings "Budapest?" which actually is not his best song. George Ezra just released this song on January 19, and is a single off of his new album entitled "Staying at Tamara's." Definitely, a quality song to give a quality listening to.

1. "Alright" by Mike Yung

Mike Yung is the subway singer who was on "America's Got Talent." My best friend told me to listen to this song, and I absolutely fell in love with it. The sound is so unique. Please listen to this song. If you listen to any song from this article, listen to this one. That's why it's number one! Also, Yung's debut album is also set to release in October, and I can't wait!

Hope you enjoyed this top ten list of songs from January! Check back in next month for my top ten songs of February!