10 Romantic Classics You Need To Read Before You Die

All-time must-reads for the romantic.

68
Bad Ass Romance

I love classics so much. There's something about the wording that just works for me, and I've found that romance in classics is much less cheesy than the more recent novels. I will try so hard not to spoil anything. But, to give you a basic summary of the book, instead of just a review, I've included links to booksellers websites where you can read up on and buy the book! So, with that being said, let's begin!

1. "Gone With The Wind" by Margaret Mitchell

I include this book against better judgement. It's a big book in which you find yourself getting attached to the characters and wondering why they won't just say what they mean, etc. However, the end is what I really had a problem with.

I sobbed for two straight hours, and I don't mean pretty sobbing. It was a 2 a.m. sobbing complete with whale noises. Since then, I have sworn off ever thinking of the book again...but with time my resolve is melting. It really is a good book. I've never cried that hard in my life.

And there is a lot of love, a lot of heartbreak, too, but such is life. And I'm finding that I really appreciate this colossal classic. It'll be a long time before I'm able to reread it, but that in and of itself should be enough to tell you that this is an amazing read. It will definitely change you.

2. "Wuthering Heights" by Emily Brontë

Okay, I fought really hard with myself on whether or not I should include this. Just like "Gone With The Wind," this book took something of me with it. However, "Gone With The Wind" took my heart, and "Wuthering Heights" took my faith in humanity.

Sigh. That was a little harsh.

This is a very popular classic because of its love story, so here I am, including it. It's a little unrealistic as far as the eternal pining for another goes, but realism is for dummies, I guess. The characters are, at best, mean, but as I thought a little harder about that I came to a realization. They were mean because they were hurt, and apart, for various reasons.

The absence of love makes way for horror, and the fact that they become selfish monsters is only a testament to how strong and durable love can be. So, while I didn't necessarily like the book when reading it, I can appreciate its necessity. "Wuthering Heights" belongs on this list.

3. "Jane Eyre" by Charlotte Brontë

This is my second favorite book of all time. It has a slow start but redeems itself over and over. This is an amazing love story. I happy cried at various points in the book, like a fangirl, which is a bit odd for a classic.

But it's just such an amazing story and the quality is just through the roof. The authors of "Wuthering Heights" and "Jane Eyre" may have been sisters, but the similarities stop at the names.

This is one book everyone needs to read. Not just for the romance but for the themes and symbolism. I'm trying really hard not to spoil anything, so I will say no more than READ THIS BOOK.

4. "Love in the Time of Cholera" by Gabriel García Márquez

Get yourself a man like Florentino Ariza. He pines like no other. Throughout years and years, a lifetime really, he waits for Fermina Daza, never forgetting the infatuation they shared in youth.

Yes, he has a lot of sex, a lot of sex, but he keeps his heart for Fermina. The ending is happy, kind of, so don't stress too much.

There's a lot of layers to this book in a literary sense as well—how love has symptoms similar to sickness, etc. It's just a good read all around and I whole heartedly recommend it. Also, if you like to gossip, you'll find the intricacies of this book particularly fascinating.

5. "A Farewell to Arms" by Ernest Hemingway

Meet my favorite book. Hemingway encompasses so many ideas about war in this book—it makes your head spin. Most of all, I loved the idea that war is not all bad.

We exist in shades of grey, and even in the midst of destruction, this remains true. This is the love story of a nurse and a soldier, who weave inexplicably in and out of chaos. The end will at the very least make you tear up, and it should, as Hemingway rewrote it a total of 39 times until he was satisfied.

This book is less romantic than some of the others, but that's why I like it. It's more realistic than many of the others and truly delves into the nature of love and war.

6. "Romeo and Juliet" by William Shakespeare

Everyone knows this story, so it should be no surprise that it ended up on this list. It's truly a romantic classic, even though it's a tragedy. I feel like over explaining this would be a drawback since this play is already so well known, so I'll just say: If you haven't read the original play, do it.

7. "The Great Gatsby" by F. Scott Fitzgerald

This is another amazing book from a literary aspect. If you like the roaring 20s and romance, then here you go. It's another pining romance, filled with tragedy and jealousy, but in an incredibly classy way. Truly a work of art.

8. "Much Ado About Nothing" by William Shakespeare

Another Shakespeare piece, but this one has way more oomph. The couple in this play vehemently hate each other, and the banter they have is hilarious. If you're looking for light and feel good, there's not a better classic play.

I don't know how many times I've reread this, but every time it's like I'm seeing it through fresh eyes. Also, the man's name is Benedick. That's right. Not Benedict. Benedick. Ahem.

9. "Pride and Prejudice" by Jane Austen

This is another well known book. A couple who hates each other, well one does. And slowly she starts to melt, in a glorious fashion. Grand romantic gestures and happy endings abound in this book, it's sugary sweet, but in a good way. If you don't read this, at least see the movie. This story, in either form, is stupendous.

10. "A Room with a View" by E.M Forster

A less well-known classic, this book is no less memorable. It's cute and romantic. You can practically hear the dramatic violin music in the background at some points. Both of the main characters in this book are a little incompetent when it comes to love—one in terms of social conditions, one in terms of what actual love means.

But by the end they've got it all figured out. But not without some serious jealous moments, because the girl also has a fiancé, gasp!

Some may notice that I did not include "A Tale of Two Cities" in this list. It's nothing personal, I simply only wanted to include books that I had read to be sure that the information and recommendation was accurate.

And I have not, unfortunately, read "A Tale of Two Cities." It's on my to do list, I swear, but I just haven't gotten around to it yet. However, I've heard amazing things about it, and I would still advise you to read it.

To be entirely honest, Charles Dickens is one of my least favorite authors along with Mark Twain (I know, I'm sorry), so that could also have something to do with my hesitation. I've been assured time and again that "A Tale of Two Cities" is different than other Dickens books, though, and so it is my solemn vow that I will at some point read the darn book cover to cover. Anyway, hope this helped someone find a good book!