Top Ten Best Blackbear Songs Ranked

Top Ten Best Blackbear Songs Ranked

As an avid fan, I complied a list of my top ten personal favorite Blackbear songs of all time

2538
Top Ten Best Blackbear Songs Ranked

Matthew Musto, better known by his musical persona, Blackbear, has recently made strides into mainstream music following the release of highly successful songs, such as Do Re Mi and Idfc. While the artist has not yet become a household name, his presence in the music industry is undeniable, especially amongst the young adult demographic. I've ranked my personal top ten favorite Blackbear/Mat Musto songs below. For the purpose of this list, I will be excluding songs from the collaborative album, Mansionz, with Mike Posner.

10. Ain't Love: Deadroses

Ain't Love describes the process of taking a friendship to the next level, despite hesitations. Several times throughout the duration of the song, Musto refers to not wanting to mess up what he already has with the other person, but not being able to refuse the temptation being offered. The song is the only song from Deadroses to be featured on this list due to the physical, emotional, and internal pain Musto makes apparent, relating to listeners on a variety of different levels.

Notable Lyrics: I just wanted you to notice me

For who I am, Instead of who I was

Instead of who I'm becoming

9. Don't Stop: Help

As the opening song on Help, Don't Stop is the perfect introduction for what the rest of the album entails. Throughout his career, I personally believe that the topic of addiction, whether to substances or otherwise, is most apparent in the Help era. Don't Stop is focused around a romantic affair, but the same reliant attitude can be seen in every track on this album, revealing what Musto believes he needs to survive.

Notable Lyrics: Used to roll your eyes, now you're lurkin' every day

See me gettin' mines, everybody wanna say

8. Weather in Heaven: Exposure

As one of Musto's older works, Weather in Heaven is an example of his more naive and innocent side. The song is focused on surviving without someone, and wondering how things would be different with them still here. The acoustics of Weather in Heaven would've made it a perfect addition to the Dead EP. The simplicity makes the single significantly more minimalistic compared to his later works but contains raw emotions that Musto has started to lose as his career progresses.

Notable Lyrics: but without you here it's making me believe,

If I'm losing you I'm losing me

7. Juicy Sweatsuits: Digital Druglord

Despite being focused around a breakup, Juicy Sweatsuits has been one of Musto's most authentically happy songs. It's clear that he no longer has any emotions for who the song is focused around, and is thriving now that the relationship is over. Along with a handful of other songs from Digital Druglord, this track is perfect to blast in the car with your friends. The versatility the song offers allows it to adapt to any situation it is played during.

Notable Lyrics: I got a hand full of ice but this kind don't melt

You think you can do better, you just lyin' to yourself

6. Learning To Fly: Year of the Blackbear (EP)

Don't get me wrong, as far as actual singing goes Blackbear has grown so much since the release of Learning To Fly. The reason it has ranked so high on this list is its lyrical merit, which sets it apart from any other Blackbear release. Musto refers to God and Christianity multiple times while describing the struggles he is going through in this track. The religious approach is very unlike his other works and almost stands as an alternate direction Musto could have taken with his career.

Notable Lyrics: I've been livin' on the street, there's not much left for me

God, just lift me up, God, just set me free

5. Hell Is Where I Dreamt of You And Woke Up Alone: Digital Druglord

In Hell Is Where I Dreamt of You And Woke Up Alone, we feel Musto's pain unlike ever before. The song is designed to focus around Musto's authentic vocals, which makes the personal experiences he offers feel so much more vulnerable. The energy the song contains doesn't necessarily correspond with the rest of the album, but it does stand out amongst the other tracks as the most emotionally driven song on the album.

Notable Lyrics: And when friends hit my phone

All they want's a repost

4. Chateau: Digital Druglord

If you can't tell by now, Digital Druglord is by far my favorite Blackbear album. If I were to pick one song to represent the work as a whole, it would definitely be Chateau. The lighthearted lyrics, vocal variation, semi-explicit nature, is what pushed it to be one of the album's more successful pieces. While it failed to bring as much revenue as Do Re Mi, the song is the perfect middle ground between old and new Blackbear, earning it a spot on this list.

Notable Lyrics: White linen, white rose, let's go, oh, oh

So please, baby, please, baby, talk slow

3. Flirt Right Back: Cashmere Noose Deluxe

When this song came out my sophomore year of high school, my friends and I could not stop constantly singing the lyrics for months following its release. Arguably Musto's most catchy song ever, Flirt Right Back contains influences from a variety of different music genres which makes it surpass every other song on Cashmere Noose. The same technique is used on Wanderlust as well but does not compare the effortless, pregaming potential, on Flirt Right Back that we have all come to love.

Notable Lyrics: Yeah, look, hold up, hold up

My DM so poppin' it won't load up, load up

2. Valley Girls: The Afterglow

As my longtime favorite Blackbear song, writing a number two description for Valley Girls feels immoral. Musto's vocal range on this track makes it incomparable to other The Afterglow songs. Hearing this song in person was honestly the highlight of my freshmen year, and really pushed me into getting into Blackbear. While the lyrics do feel heavy and repetitive towards the end, the majority of the song is executed so well that it makes up for it. The reference to "southern comfort" is very Blackbear and stays true to who he is as an artist. Overall Valley Girls deserves much more recognition, and is one of Musto's best songs,

Notable Lyrics: I can't wait for you

Can't stay for you

Won't change for you

1. If I Could I Would Feel Nothing: Digital Druglord

After first being released as a freestyle on SoundCloud in November 2016, I was ecstatic when If I Could I Would Feel Nothing was featured on Digital Druglord in April 2017. The lyrical creativeness is outstanding, especially coming from a freestyle. The track is very easy to sing along to and pick up the lyrics. The song feels just as relatable happy as it does sad, and is another example of just how versatile Blackbear's music can be. The negative nature of the song can be taken in different directions, but stands as a testament to the artist's actual feelings and beliefs, and provokes the question "Would I want to feel nothing if I could?". This track never fails to make you feel something, earning it the highest spot on this list.

Notable Lyrics: Ridin' next to me in droptop

Wearin' croptop

Throughout Blackbear's musical career we have seen him grow as an artist, experimenting with a variety of different musical styles and genres. His music appeals to many, while it definitely experiences highs and lows in popularity. I don't see Blackbear leaving the music industry anytime soon, but I do see him adapting his musical style to progress with time itself.