Top PA Dutch Food Everyone From Central PA Knows

If this list doesn't make your mouth water, I don't know what will.

57
StoltzfusMeats

As a fellow Pennsylvanian, I love everything on this list, even though explaining this food to a non-PA citizen could be a little difficult

1. Sauerkraut, pork roast, mashed potatoes, and dumplings

My family eats this on New Year's Day. But It's not uncommon to find us having it any other time of the year.

2. Chicken and waffles

Sunny day, rainy day, snowy day: perfect time to devour this!

3. Chicken corn soup or chicken pot pie

There may be different versions floating around but my favorite type has hard boiled eggs, sweet corn, shredded chicken, and diced potatoes. That's where the party's at.

4. Milk Gravy, SOS, Chipped Beef gravy

I promise this isn't a pile of grease. It's a milk based gravy with either browned sausage, beef, or chipped beef. Delicious over mashed potatoes, toast, biscuits, or even hash browns.

5. Meatloaf or hamloaf

I was always the kid who was excited to eat meatloaf for dinner; maybe it's because my parents make the most moist, delicious meatloaf I've ever had, but it's still one of my favorite dishes ever. And ketchup is essential.

6. Lebanon bologna (with a side of cream cheese)

Maybe this is a trait from my Gram but lebanon bologna with a lot of cream cheese spread on top is the best afternoon snack. Just put that right next to apples with garlic powder.

7. Pickled eggs and beets

Any day. Any time of the day. I could eat a gallon of these. So delicious. So good.

8. Scrapple

I will admit that I am not on the Scrapple bandwagon. But its a PA Dutch staple. So here it is with some eggs and maple syrup.

9. Shepard’s Pie

This was never my favorite dish as a kid but now I love this beautiful mixture of beef, veggies, mashed potatoes, and cheese. I'll take two please.

10. Ham, green bean, potato soup

This is probably my favorite dish on the list. I love ham and potatoes and green beans. So this is the best thing since sliced bread!

Desserts

1. Whoopie Pie

This dessert is simple but can be spiced up by making the cookie pumpkin flavored or making the filling strawberry flavored, peanut butter, cream cheese, the options are endless!

2. Shoofly Pie

This dessert is the epitome of PA dutch desserts. I can't even describe it.

3. Apple dumplings

I'm not the biggest apple dumpling fan but it is a classic. And even though it's not my favorite, it's still delicious.

4. Funnel Cakes

Whether from the local fair or my Dad's homemade funnel cakes, these are to die for! Light and fluffy, crispy and sweet, these are a perfect dessert!

Which PA Dutch food is your favorite?