Top Five Gentle Songs To Listen To

Top Five Gentle Songs To Listen To

From Taylor Swift to Kevin Kern, I show a few songs that help me relax from a trying day

28
A Youtube screenshot of Taylor Swift's music video of "cardigan".
Youtube.com

In order for me to relax at any point of the day, I would often listen to soft and gentle music (unless I was feeling rebellious--then I listen to punk or emo music). Mostly played with a piano, they would drift me away from a world of troubles into a dream full of moonlight, trees, and animals dancing in the night glittering with stars...

Oh, sorry about that. I must have gotten carried away.

Anyhow, the point is, I end up being more relaxed with these songs, and I think it is only right to show you just a few songs that get you in just the right mood.

Note: this list has been made in a random order. Each song is as good as the next.

1. "Watermark" by Enya

Watermark (2009 Remaster) www.youtube.com

This has a personal space in my heart, as this was a song I would listen to in an acting class I took in Manhattan. To many of my classmates, it was simply the "meditation song", due to what it was used for, but to me and my teacher, because I asked her "what song is this?", we both knew it as "Watermark" by Enya. Later on, whenever I felt it was time to meditate, or needed to calm down, this would be the piece I would listen to.

2. "Through the Arbor" by Kevin Kern

Kevin Kern - Through the Arbor. www.youtube.com

When I was little, this song would play in a Spongebob radio that my family and I used to have. But, it would be years until I finally learned what the name of the song was. Then, a friend of mine introduced me to Kevin Kern, and that was when I finally found out what the song was called. Every time I listen to this piece, I would imagine a calm harbor next to a small cottage under a sunny sky.

3. "Cardigan" by Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift - cardigan (Official Music Video) www.youtube.com

This is a new addition to the list. To be honest, her lyrics are haunting in a wonderful, melodic way, especially with this poetic line "You drew stars/Around my scars/And now I'm bleeding". Plus, the music video is so amazing that I can't help but re-watch.

4. "The Well-Tempered Clavier: Book I: Prelude in C Major" by J.S. Bach

Tzvi Erez plays Bach: Prelude 1 in C Major BWV 846 from the Well-Tempered Clavier www.youtube.com

Out of all of the songs in this list, this is the only song I can still play on the piano. Though, that is because I still have the sheet music. A simple melody, constantly changing itself, but still being played the same way until the very end. It is a favorite of mine.

5. "Winter, 2nd Movement" from the "Four Seasons" by Vivaldi

Vivaldi: Winter (the Four Seasons), Largo; Cynthia Freivogel & Voices of Music RV 297 4K UHD www.youtube.com

Finally, a song that doesn't really need a piano. But really, after hearing the emotional 1st movement of Vivaldi's "Winter"--which I believe is so metal that I wrote a short story about a musical duel between a violinist and an electric-guitarist--hearing the sweet melody of the second movement is almost a blessing. I can always imagine myself walking through a snowy forest under a cloudy white sky to a warm, toasty cottage whenever I listen to the piece.

And that's a wrap. These are all the five pieces of music that I listen to whenever I want to be calm and relaxed. I hope listening to these songs helped you to relax as well, and gave you stories made from only the most beautiful daydreams...