Top Art Museums to Visit While You Are in Chicago

Art Museums to Visit While You Are in Chicago

7

Chicago has a population of over 2.7 million people, and it is the third-largest city in the United States. Many come to the city to view its Neo-gothic architecture at some of the most famous buildings in the world, including the Tribune Tower, the Woolworth Building, and Mather Tower. It is also known for its museums that have an extraordinary collection of impressionist and post-impressionist works. There are many beautiful art museums to explore.

The Art Institute of Chicago

Many will instantly think of the Art Institute in Millenial Park. This museum is home to more than 300,000 works of art, ranging from the medieval period to the modern period. Originally, opened in 1882, after earlier attempts to develop an art school in the city failed, workers have added on to the institute numerous times, including making it more accessible to those with physical challenges. An FSG Chicago recommended venue, the Art Institute of Chicago is worthy of a visit. Over 30 curated shows are open to the public annually.

Location:

111 S Michigan Avenue

Phone Number: (312) 443-3600

Richard H. Driehaus Museum

Located very close to the Magnificent Mile, the building housing the Richard H. Driehaus Museum was constructed in 1833. Samuel N. Nickerson spent over $450,000 to have this home built. On the first floor, you will see a loose interpretation of America's Gilded Age presented through artwork collected by local businessman Richard H. Driehaus, including many pieces by Louis Comfort Tiffany. The second floor contains constantly changing exhibit space with most exhibits focusing on the Art Noveau period. Organizers hold many private parties inside the grand ballroom on the third floor.

Location:

40 East Erie Street

Phone Number: (312) 482-8933

National Museum of Mexican Art

Located in the Pilsen neighborhood, the National Museum of Mexican Art contains about 10,000 works of art created by Hispanic artists living in the United States and Mexico. This small museum, which is free to enter, also often hosts cultural programs, including music, dance, and theater performances. It also hosts one of the biggest Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) exhibits in the United States every October.

Location:

1852 W. 19th street

Phone number: 312.738.1503

Museum of Contemporary Art

It is hard to miss the Museum of Contemporary Art because of its massive 32-step entryway that architect Josef Paul Kleihues designed to resemble the Acropolis in Athens. Visitors to the Museum of Contemporary Art see paintings, videos, and photos of the post-world war II era. Visitors can see works done in many different styles, including late surrealism, pop art, minimalism, and conceptual art. Full-glass east and west windows in the atrium offer stunning views of Lake Michigan and the city's skyline. Visitors can also take in dance shows, theater performances, and other live shows at the museum's 296-seat theater.

Loyola University Museum

Location:

220 E Chicago Ave

Phone number: (312) 280-2660

Loyola University Museum of Art (LUMA)

LUMA is in a great location on Loyola's Water Tower campus. Visitors can see a variety of Christian art with a particular emphasis on those created during the Medieval, Renaissance, and Baroque periods. Mostly the upper level is full of Christian art. The museum used religious paintings to spread across the message of social equality. This museum also displays many modern and postmodern artists from time to time. Annually, since 2007, the museum has exhibited nativity scenes from around the world at Christmastime during their Art and Faith of the Crèche: The Collection of James and Emilia Govan exhibition. This museum's Martin D'Arcy, S.J. Collection features many three-dimensional artworks done by European artists. In order to visit this free museum, guests must call and make prior arrangements.

Location:

820 North Michigan Avenue

Phone number: (312) 280-2660

Ukrainian National Museum

The Ukrainian National Museum contains one of the largest collections of Ukrainian folk art found outside of the country, including ritual clothing, wedding attire, ceramics, metalwork, and decorative wood-carved objects. Visitors can also see Ukrainian Easter eggs from many different periods and featuring numerous designs. This museum often shows cultural films or leads workshops allowing visitors to gain a better understanding of the country's history. Visitors strolling through this museum will love the enthusiasm of the tour guides.

Location:

2249 W Superior Street

Phone number: (312) 421-8020

Smart Museum of Art

Despite the ground not being broken for the Smart Museum of Art until 1971, this museum's building has the Gothic appearance of the rest of the University of Chicago's buildings. This museum contains four main galleries. The Modern Collection features a dining room table designed by Frank Lloyd Wright for the Robie House. The Asian Collection features artwork from China, Japan, and Korea, including literati scroll paintings. Visitors can see many masterpieces created before 1900 in the European Collection. Finally, the Contemporary Collection focuses on many local artists, including Chicago Imagists. This free museum often hosts art-making workshops along with informative talks.

Location:

5550 S. Greenwood Avenue

Phone number: 773-702-0200

Architectural Artifacts Inc

While not a museum, visitors will love seeing the architectural salvage at Architectural Artifacts Inc. when it reopens in spring 2020 in its newly constructed building. Owner Stuart Grannen carefully sources pieces to sell from all around the globe, and he has been doing that since 1987. Many of the items for sale come from some of the city's most iconic buildings, including the Fisher Building, Corn Exchange Bank Building, and St. Nicholas Hotel. Visitors can find home decor items, like light fixtures, seating, and art. Salvaged items for the garden are also available, including gates, columns, and troughs. Commercial entities can also find architectural salvage items, including swinging doors, signs, and shelves. Since most are one-of-a-kind, visitors never know what they may see. During remodeling, visitors can still see the items by calling ahead.

Location:

834 North Avenue

Phone Number: 773 348-0622

Chicago boasts many art museums, with each one having its unique focus. There are also places available to start your own collection. From art, architecture, global history, and more are available for viewing in the Windy City. Plan your next stop to this city very soon.

From Your Site Articles