Top 8 Cheap Vegan Staples

Top 8 Cheap Vegan Staples

Want to buy more plant-based products? Here's eight things that need to be in your pantry.

376
Top 8 Cheap Vegan Staples
https://az616578.vo.msecnd.net/files/2018/04/26/6366037042819032321371468231_breakfast-1663295_1920.jpg

Veganism has become a sort of trend in the past year. In the Twin Cities alone, restaurants with vegan options seem to be popping up left and right. Some of my favorite places are J. Selby’s , Fig + Farrow , and Vegan East. With that, veganism is on the rise.

But making the transition to a vegan diet can be a daunting task. Especially if you’re on a college student-sized budget.

But contrary to popular belief, a vegan diet can actually be more affordable.

Here is a list of my favorite inexpensive vegan items that are practical and durable.

1. Frozen fruits and vegetables

Constantly having frozen fruits and vegetables in the freezer is a must. Not only do these frozen goods typically run cheap at $2-$6 per bag, they are dynamic. Put them in smoothies, stir-fry, or just eat them as a snack. The best part? Although they're packed with the same nutrients as their fresh counterparts, they don’t have a short expiration date.

2. Brown rice

Brown rice is something that is always in my cupboards. I believe that brown rice can compliment any dish. And if it's instant rice, it takes less than ten minutes to cook it on a stove top. Not only is it easy to make, it’s also healthy with 24 grams of protein packed into one cup.

3. Bananas

Bananas are in the running for my favorite fruit next to grapes. Although they can go bad in a short amount of time, they can be frozen. When the frozen fruit is blended with a splash of dairy-free milk, magical ice cream goodness is created. I also believe it is impossible to make a smoothie without a banana as the base. They are inexpensive and good for you.

4. Oats

A large container of oats will cost you around $2-$5 and is likely to last a long time. Packed with fiber, oatmeal is the perfect vegan breakfast food. It's delicious, quick and has numerous health benefits. It tastes even better made over the stovetop.

5. Nut butter

A large container of oats will cost you around $2-$5 per container, and these will generally last a long time. Packed with fiber, oatmeal is the perfect vegan breakfast food. It’s delicious, quick, and has health benefits. It tastes best made over the stove top.

6. Tofu

Tofu is scary for a lot of people. But it’s actually simple to make if you buy the right types. A package of extra-firm tofu can cost anywhere between $1-$5. By digging into Pinterest’s tofu recipe archives or making a DIY scramble, there is always a container filled with a new Tofu dish in my fridge.

7. Popcorn

Whether it be packaged or ready to pop kernels, popcorn is a staple for vegans. It’s super easy to spice up as well. Add nutritional yeast, garlic salt, coconut oil or pepper for a quick and healthy, plant-based snack.

8. Sweet potatoes

Sweet potatoes are a vegan’s best friend. They can be made into noodles, cooked, boiled, fried and make the best brownies I’ve ever had. The best part about sweet potatoes? It takes them a few weeks to go bad.

If you’re looking to fill your pantry with cheap vegan foods, these are good stepping stones to begin that process.