Top 7 Reasons Why College Students Should Take A Dance Class

You never know what you will discover about yourself

1468
Arts

You probably think I am talking about adding a Dance to your already busy schedule to add even more stress and maybe want to kill me in the end because I told you to do it! That is not what this article is about at all! As I am a dance major myself, I will always tell you to add a dance class to your schedule just because dance is amazing and I will always say that the teachers are amazing and the classes will make you feel amazing afterwards! However, I am talking to those who say they have no rhythm in their body at all and think to themselves that they will make a fool of themselves on the first day! I want to make a list of reasons why you should take a dance class (or two or five) in the four years that you are in college!

1. Stress reliever!

Once you get over the initial stress of looking weird in front of people, you will see that you are relaxing! Moving your body around to the beat of the music is just amazing and doing it around other people sometimes will even have you laughing so much that you forget why you were stressed to be begin with!

2. You will surprise yourself!

Well whatever Abby was surprised by it was probably about a mom or something a daughter said...you will never know with this lady! However, when you are dancing in class with your peers, you will start to see that you can do more than you actually thought you could! You can actually keep up with the girls who have more experience than you! You feel good about what you are doing and the doubt slowly goes away!

3. You are not alone!

On the first day, you may think that you are walking into any class (beginner to advance) and think to yourself 'yep I am alone in this process...GREAT.' Of course the teachers always go over the syllabus and introduce yourself and than as the gods above probably planned it, you hear someones story that is exactly like yours and you feel like the weight has been lifted off your shoulders! You now feel like you are connected with someone without having a conversation.

4. You will grow confidence!

At the beginning you will feel as though you don't belong and have to hide in the back of the class! Towards the middle you will feel like you can test the waters and see what would happen if you did this one move or add in your own flare. By the end of the class, you will wish you had more time because you have found something in yourself that you never knew was in and you want to scream if (or dance it) for the world to see!

5. You can be yourself!

Bring on the sass! Dance classes are not meant to be something so serious that no one wants to try it when they are older or feel intimidated. Let yourself run free and be who you want to be while using your entire body to express yourself!

6. Meet NEW friends!

In these dance classes, you can meet someone from a different major that you would have never met unless you are in that major or taking the same prerequisites. Dance classes is just one of those places where you aren't required to take it unless you need an art credit or your taking it to get back into dancing again! You just create a bond once you see someone them messing up or just laughing at something random!

7. Find new music taste!

We are use to our own music and never really venture (unless you go to different playlists on Spotify). When it comes to different teachers, they love opening everyones minds to new music genre and soon your mind is blown! Soon you will ask them the name and album and next you will be listening to them and finding out that you like them too!

Moral of the story? DO AT LEAST ONE DANCE CLASS! You never know what you will discover about yourself. Yes the clothes can be uncomfortable at times because they reach up into weird places that you are not okay with! Whether it is a jazz class, ballet class, tap class, or even modern-be open minded! As a dance major, I love seeing when anyone has that light bulb moment or laugh when they make a mistake or just make new friends that will be people you connect with forever! College is the time to explore, work hard, and play hard! Adding a dance class here and there will not harm you in anyway (maybe even boost your GPA with an A)!