Top 7 Reasons To Attend Southeastern Louisiana University

Besides Mooyah and Popeye's, of course.

318
Sports Flags and Pennants

College. It is supposed to be the greatest time of your life, which is why some find the task of choosing the right one to attend so challenging. As a student at Southeastern Louisiana University, I can rave about the marvelousness of my school until my voice grows hoarse. I couldn’t be more grateful that my heart (and the generous financial aid) led me to Hammond, America. From a fellow student’s perspective, here are 7 reasons why you should become a Lion:

1. NO class on Fridays

More like thank God it’s Thursday, am I right?

At my school, every weekend is literally a three-day weekend. Friday is the new Saturday, and Saturday … is still Saturday, but you get my point. Depending on which College Algebra course you take and if you are enrolled in acting courses, your Fridays will be free from 8 a.m. classes and classmates who steal your unassigned assigned seats. You have an extra day to start early on that term paper or procrastinate. I mean, isn’t it great?

2. RENT textbooks instead of buy

Purchasing textbooks for all of your classes can be very expensive, which is why Southeastern’s Textbook Rental is a life saver. Students pay a $45 rental fee for each class that is included in their outstanding charges for the semester. Before classes start, they pick up their rented textbooks, and after classes end, they simply return them. Students also have the option of buying the textbook if they choose. Books that are not offered at Textbook Rental are available for purchase at the University Bookstore. This rental system has saved me hundreds of dollars every semester, avoiding the headache of hefty textbook costs.

3. FREE sporting events and other activities

If you read one of my previous articles, 3 Reasons Why I’m the Worst Company at Football Games, then you know I am not football’s biggest fan. Nonetheless, I have attended every home game this football season. Why? Well, besides my need to “Lion Up,” the games are FREE for students. Any sporting event, whether it is football, basketball, baseball, volleyball, soccer, or any other sport, students can attend free of charge. The nachos are still four dollars, but I’ve made peace with that. You may even get a free T-shirt and a set of green and yellow pom-poms just by attending.

Perhaps sports are not your thing. No worries. The theatrical productions and music recitals on campus also offer free admission for students. The actors of SLU Theater are amazing, and the recitals provide entertaining renditions for all music fans. Also, the Campus Activities Board shows movies for free in the Student Union Theatre. Along with eating free popcorn, students can enjoy recent blockbusters including Captain America: Civil War and Suicide Squad, or old favorites such as Mean Girls and Jumanji.

4. Affordable

Compared to other four-year universities, Southeastern is greatly affordable. In fact, Southeastern ranks in the top ten percentile of the most affordable colleges in Louisiana. Thanks to its textbook rental system, students already save hundreds of dollars a semester, and the school also offers scholarships.

Even if you live in the dorms on campus and paid for the cheapest meal plan, you will not starve. I like the sound of that.

5. Campus Organizations

Regardless of your interests, there is an organization on campus to suit your likes. For example, if you are interested in a career in Public Relations, there is the Public Relations Student Society of America, a club that teaches you about the field and offers opportunities for internships and conferences. If you are passionate about happenings in the African-American community, you can join the NAACP or Black Student Union. Not to mention Greek Life is very prevalent on campus.

Can’t find a club that interests you? Gather ten people and you can start your own.

6. Small Classes

Although Southeastern is the third largest university in Louisiana, its class sizes are relatively small, allowing for more networking with the professors. This is advantageous because the less number of students crammed in a classroom, the closer the relationships the students share with their instructors. A lot of the professors know their students by name, and due to the small class sizes, students can develop good friendships with their peers in their major.

7. Fun Campus Traditions

The unique activities that take place on Southeastern’s campus make the university special. For instance, during Homecoming week, the Student Government Association hosts Gumbo Ya-Ya, a function where SGA introduces the Homecoming court and serves gumbo and jambalaya to the student body. On the Thursday night before the game, a bonfire takes place, which our adorable mascot Roomie ignites, followed by a spirit contest, a truckload of free pizza and an epic Lip Sync battle.

Other traditions include Strawberry Jam, a music-filled event with games at Strawberry Stadium before fall classes start, and Rec Fest, a fun spring occasion where students feast on crawfish and collide with one another inside giant bubble costumes. Oh, and did I mention each of these events give away free food and T-shirts? It is a college kid’s dream!

During my last year of high school, I applied to almost every four-year college in Louisiana. The affordability and reputable Communication program ultimately led me to Southeastern, and I am glad to be here. As a student resident, I am never bored with the number of things to do on this campus. Whether I am attending club meetings, nabbing free T-shirts at fun events or consuming Mooyah three times a week, I love being involved and representing my school. Southeastern Louisiana University has certainly lent me the most positive college experience I could have ever asked for.