7 Beauty Secrets Every Woman Needs To Know

Beauty regimens have been present for ages. From Ancient Egypt to the French Revolution, women followed beauty rituals that helped maintain a glowing skin.

However, the secret is in knowing what is healthy for you and doing it as a habit. Some of these require a bit more time, but others are as simple as drinking more water throughout the day.

It’s so important to prioritize it right now in order to look at our best in the future! It’s never too late to start taking care of ourselves. Here are seven easy beauty tips you can start doing today.

1. Apply Sunscreen

Enjoy your sunny days to the fullest with sunscreen. It protects your skin from the harmful UV rays while preserving a healthy skin. Sunscreen slows down premature aging, decreases the development of skin cancer and prevents skin discolorations.

Some creams on the market include sunscreen as well, which is great! Not only will you moisturize your skin with cream but also protects it from the solar rays. Sunscreen protects skin proteins like collagen and keratin, so applying it is a boost of healthiness.

Sunscreen will be your best friend through the years!

2. Good nutrition for a pretty skin

You are what you eat. Have you heard that phrase? Well, it may be somewhat accurate, but what is highly true is that your diet will impact your body. Therefore a healthy nutrition equals healthy skin.

Vegetable and fruits are high in essential vitamins and minerals. Antioxidants are also key in a healthy skin. They are present in strawberries, blackberries, raisins, cherries, prunes. You can also find them in greens, such as spinach, arugula and romaine lettuce. Add these greens to your diet by eating salads, they are delicious!

An apple a day keeps a doctor away...or better said, an apple a day keeps a wrinkle away! The apple’s peel not only is rich in fiber but contains high levels of antioxidants!

3. Water, water, and more water

Staying hydrated is essential for a glowing skin. Try to aim for 8 glasses of water throughout the day. Water helps plump your skin, therefore wrinkles and pores get filled in. It can also lead to fewer breakouts since it reduces the oil concentrations in the skin.

You may also help your skin stay hydrated by applying topicals. After taking a bath, apply a hydrating moisturizer to your skin. Do this within two minutes since the pores are still open and your skin will fully absorb it.

4. Never sleep with makeup

This is a golden rule that must never be broken: Never sleep with makeup...ever. It doesn’t matter if you got home late after that crazy party if you just finished that extensively time-consuming college project at 3 am or even if you just arrived home from that long flight with many layovers.

Regardless of how tired you are or if you are just being lazy, always remove your makeup before going to bed. When you’re sleeping your face repairs itself from the damages it went through the day, such as stress or pollution.

However, if you keep your makeup on, you won't allow your skin to breath and repair itself. This may lead to clogged pores, wrinkles, breakouts or dryness.

Try to prioritize some time to cleanse and wash your face before bedtime. You can also try facial cleansing wipes, which are quick and efficient. Your future self will greatly appreciate this!

5. Less is more

This is one of the many pieces of advice my grandma has shared with me. My grandma’s skin is gorgeous! She hardly ever applied makeup on, so there were no chemicals on her face that would damage it.

Less makeup is healthier. Makeup can dry the natural oils, vitamins and minerals of your skin. And without its natural moisture, wrinkles and dryness may appear!

I know, I know, some people just can’t leave the house without makeup. But I encourage you to try to give your face a break once in a while. Or you may try healthier options instead of a heavy foundation.

If you can’t live without makeup, I recommend trying BB cream. It is a lightweight makeup product that on top of covering blemishes at the moment, it moisturizes the skin and promises to protect your skin! It contains SPF, too.

6. Bath like a queen

You deserve to have a Cleopatra-inspired-spa day. Cleopatra, the Egyptian pharaoh, maintained a soft, radiant and beautiful skin due to her baths with milk and honey. Lactic acids -which are alpha-hydroxy acids (AHA)- present in the milk revitalize your skin by exfoliating it and regenerating healthy cells. The honey will help soften and moisturize your skin.

And you should totally have your own luxurious bath! First, warm some milk with a few tablespoons of honey. Then, pour it into the bath water. Gently rub your skin to remove the dead skin cells. Rinse your body once you’re done to intensify the milk effects.

7. Royal face mask on

During her time, French queen Marie Antoinette followed many beauty rituals as well. One of the most popular beauty routines was her face mask composed of cognac, an egg white, a bit of powdered milk and juice of a lemon. Her mask is still used among French women and promises a glowing and clear skin.

And it doesn't hurt to try! Mix the ingredients and apply them to your face. Let it rest for 15 minutes and then rinse and dry with a towel. Apply a moisturizer to finish. And voila!

Each facial skin is different. Some people may have different reactions to the ingredients. What's important is to give it its proper care and put a facial mask on once a week or what works best for you!

Remember, now is the time to start taking care of yourself! Don't wait till Monday. You can start by making small changes to your routine and these will soon become a habit. Good luck and have fun!