Top 5 Youtube Movie Reviewers

Top 5 Youtube Movie Reviewers

References for you and your friends about what to watch this weekend.

33
Top 5 Youtube Movie Reviewers
Youtube

Hey you! Do you want to stop spending your well-earned money going to the movies to watch garbage? Then this is the article for you! As a cinephile and film student, I'm always interested in knowing how the latest movie premieres have been going with critics, if my predictions were right or wrong, if the trailers had any truth to them, etc.

For years now I've relied on some Youtube channels for reference about the movies hitting theaters in a week, sometimes even saving me some money by advising me not to go watch a movie that looked mildly interesting – of course, Rotten Tomatoes and my own criteria play a big part in that as well.

Here are my top 5 best movie reviewers on Youtube, which I consult every single week like our previous generation read Roger Ebert.

5. Clevver Movies

OK, so this is like the most "casual" of my picks, and that's why is only in number 5. Clevver Movies is a branch of Clevver Media, which feature news about sports, music, etc. Their movie channel covers reviews and movies every week, and they're a good reference if looking for a nice and short summary of how a movie is and if you should consider it or not.

They also release new trailers and lists about actors or movies for a season, which are entertaining enough. Their main host, Erin Robinson, is gorgeous and smart, and gives great opinions and arguments for or against the movies that she watches.

Here's one of her most recent reviews:

Why this channel lands in spot 5 is simply because Robinson is not the only person that hosts reviews or lists. There are many other girls the channels uses to narrate – as I'm pretty sure they don't even write the reviews or lists – the contents of the videos.

They're all pretty and hot and nice, sure, but they don't really give out a vibe that shows they know what they're talking about, especially when they mispronounce some actor's name or something like that. Nevertheless, they're still functional and simple enough.

4. Mr. Sunday Movies

This Australian lad is pretty funny, focusing mostly on the "geeky" side of the movie spectrum, like all "Marvel" and "DC," "Star Wars," "Star Trek," all that jazz. He edits his own videos and narrates them himself, and I do have to say they're mostly hilarious. He does lists, reviews, news and some supercuts about movie characters killing people. Recently, he was trending thanks to the "Batman" video he made, showing how Batman breaks his own rule in almost every movie.

This, however, is his funniest video in my opinion:

His movie ratings are kind of confusing, however, since he refuses to give conventional ratings. His field is more like "watch it or don't," which he translates to "Best Movie Ever" or "Worst Movie Ever," and he himself has admitted that some people have gotten confused about that. Nevertheless, he's very funny and knows his stuff about comic-books, so you should check him out.

3. YMS

This guy is just unique. The angry Canadian that goes by the alias of YourMovieSucks is one of the most creative and talented Youtubers out there, especially when regarding editing and understanding cinema. YMS doesn't do regular reviews, but rather gives his thoughts on movies he watches and feels like talking about, or does videos of his own about very different things.

He can create very long reviews about movies he finds atrocious, or he can do lists of the best movies from a specific year – which are usually very, very long. He's also one of the most demanding critics out there, so if he says he thought a movie was "great," then it's probably amazing.

Here's one of his short reviews, which I think will give you a good glimpse into his style. Warning: some graphic and crude humor.

He takes forever to make his videos, which can be very frustrating. And sometimes his videos can be slightly overlong. But apart from that, he's great. You should check him out.

2. Chris Stuckmann

What I would give to sit and have a conversation with this guy. Stuckmann is a guy from Ohio who loves movies and likes to talk about them, and that's pretty much it. He's honest, passionate, consistent and respectful, which makes him very interesting to listen to and follow his advice.

When he gets mad, though, he's just hilarious. He loves movies very much, and has a huge collection of blu-rays that he likes to talk about. He does best and worst of the year lists, opinions about some stuff, and reviews of older movies based on other movies to come soon to the theater.

Here's one of his funniest reviews, just because he's so angry:

He always tries to find the good in movies, which is refreshing. Once you watch his videos, you get to know and like him very much. Definitely recommended for analytical and heavy criticism of film.

1. Jeremy Jahns

On the other side, I would love to have a beer with this guy. He's like Stuckmann in that he really talks about characters and plot and the craft of filmmaking, but Jeremy is just insane. He's so active and brutally honest and adds so many film references in his speech. His videos are shorter than Stuckmann's, but just as reliable, as he knows a lot about film and speaks about it with enough passion to show it.

Here's a random review from his channel:

He also does his end-of-the-year lists and some trailer reviews, but his focus is on recently-released movies, so you can be up to date with his opinion every single week. Sometimes I don't agree with him, but he's just so likeable anyway. Hell, even his ratings are hilarious.

So there you have it. Hope you find this list helpful and save yourself some money by not going to the theater to watch crappy movies.

Peace out.