Top 5 things about being Youth Ministry Leader

Youth group is a highlight of my week
139

I am a Youth Ministry major here at Eastern University. I have been volunteering at a local church and I enjoy everything about being a youth leader. Why? Well, let's find out...

1. You look forward to Youth Group

Fun, games, discussions, food and friends. The youth group is a great way to have fun and connect with youth. Every Sunday evening there is an opportunity for youth to grow more and learn more about God and Jesus. It's amazing to hear the questions youth to have these days. It's also amazing to hear what the youth know already about God and Jesus. Youth are the future of the church so it's cool to see them come and share their thoughts and ask questions and be open to growing in their faith.

2. Retreats

Retreats are one of the best parts of youth ministry. I am a youth intern and volunteer at a local church and we just recently had our Middle Retreat and our High School retreat is coming up soon. These are great ways to connect with youth, have great discussions and have fun! I have realized that when I was a youth in my youth group, I always looked forward to retreats and now that the retreats are coming up, Going on the Middle School retreat this past weekend I realized why I was called to ministry.

3. Lock-ins

If you volunteer at a church youth group, you probably have heard of Lock-ins. Lock-ins are great if you are young, however, sometimes volunteers know they will be losing sleep. It is a great event for youth to have fun and be themselves. Lock-ins are sleepovers at the church, with fun, games, discussions and (of course) sleep.

4. Mission Trips

Mission trips are one of my favourite things about youth ministry. Mission trips are where youth and leaders get to go out into the world and be the hands and feet of Jesus in the world. When I was a youth I was able to attend 6 amazing mission trips, 2 in middle school and 4 in high school. I was able to connect with the people we were working alongside with and share the love of Christ. These are always special because you get to help out a local community.

5. The youth

The youth themselves are the greatest part of a youth group.That is the main reason why it's called youth group. The youth are so unique in so many ways. It's so cool to meet so many individuals and get to know them better. I love being able to answer any questions they might have or just be there for them.

There are many more reasons why I love being a youth leader. These are just a sneak peek at some that I like. I could go on for days why I enjoy being a youth leader. It's amazing to get to help teens grow in their faith and teach them about the Lord.