Top 5 Suspense Filled Video Games To Play This Month

Looking for a scary ride through the video game world? Check out these picks.
34

Sometimes, watching movies during the spooky October season isn't enough if you are an adrenaline junkie and a true lover of thrill and terror. If you are looking for some new video games to play that are scary, heart pounding, or just plain stressful (in a fun way) then check out my top 5 picks!

Whether you play alone or with a group of friends; late at night or during the day (just to be safe, like me), these games are sure to give you plenty of scares.

1. Outlast (Series)

Possibly three of the scariest games I have come across: the Outlast series. It has gained notoriety for its first-person survival aspect focused on a run or hide option, and not being able to fight back against the various enemies you meet. This is sure to pack a punch and provide plenty of terrifying encounters, and heart-pounding chase scenarios that require quick thinking.

If you enjoy games with multi-layered storylines that provide more than just minor jump scares, check out Outlast. The first, second and third installments are all part of the same universe, but can be played on their own. I suggest checking out Outlast 1&2 as a set, preferably.

Outlast is currently available on PS4, XBOX One, Microsoft Windows, OS X and Linux.

2. Until Dawn

The interactive survival horror game, Until Dawn, gained its popularity by being designed to be playable multiple times, as players can't view all of the content over one play through.

Based on the "butterfly effect," the game provides a unique experience depending on how the player chooses, through multiple scenarios, a choice of action that has various consequences later in the game. The graphics of this game are also exceptional, and the storyline plays out more so like a movie than your average game.

Part of the fun for me in playing it was that you become invested in keeping certain characters alive, and it is, quite frankly, devastating when one wrong move results in their death later in the game. If you enjoy video games with a more immersive effect, check out this one, available on PS4.

3. Dying Light 1&2

I couldn't not include a zombie game in my list, and this is by far one of my favorite zombie games I have played.

Based in an open world environment (meaning that the player has free range to explore the maps provided) this survival horror game offers a fun, duel experience: the world of Dying Light during the day is already difficult enough to handle, but once night falls, it becomes an entirely different universe.

Once the world turns dark, the player is given the option to either remain in hiding until dawn, or try and explore the map that is now infested with the strongest zombies in the game. As well as this, the player is given multiple tasks with a varying level of difficulty, some meant to be complete during the day, and others at night.

This game uses the player's ability to adapt and traverse through the various areas of the map. If the player makes too much noise zombies are attracted to the area. So it is smart to use melee weapons versus guns and the like. If you want to test out your ability to play complex games that also happen to include scary moments, check out Dying Light, available on Microsoft Windows, Linux, PlayStation 4, and Xbox One.

4. Layers of Fear

Less complex than the previous games mentioned, but still an excellent horror game in its own right, this indie game focuses on a painter and his hallucinations. As you play through the game, the hallucinations get gradually more terrifying, and you unveil more of the storyline and the painter's past with each clue you find.

The ambiance of the game is the generic spooky manor with occasional jump scares during a thunderstorm, but the twist of the character's memories give it a very Amnesia-esque feel. If you enjoyed that game, you will love Layers of Fear, available on Steam, Linux, Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, Microsoft, and OSX.

5. Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs

Developed as an indirect sequel for the popular game Amnesia: A Dark Descent, Machine for Pigs offers an intricate storyline and original scares, like the ones offered in older indie horror games. An oldie but a goodie, it was recently re-released on PS4 as part of the Amnesia Collection.

If none of these other games suit your fancy and you'd rather start with something older, definitely check out the Amnesia series.