Top 5 Shows Brought To You By Netflix

Top 5 Shows Brought To You By Netflix

TV Shows that put the flix in Netflix.

164
Top 5 Shows Brought To You By Netflix
Colossal Now

Among various outlets of the show business that have flourished in the 21st century which is still at the stage of its onset, no medium has experienced such dramatic growth on a level that matches what has been seen in the television empire. "The Sopranos", "Game of Thrones", "Mad Men", "Breaking Bad", "Hannibal", network and cable programming has done it all from hallmark crime dramas to period piece tour de forces. With the success the televisual arts has accrued in the recent years, writers, directors, and actors of all stripes have become so increasingly allured with the idea of banding together to conceive 30-60 minute onscreen segment once a week that many are beginning to assert that the quality of entertainment television has put forth will soon eclipse that of what has been seen in the movie theatres.

Nevertheless, with all the praise heaped on shows generated by the HBOs, AMCs, and FXs, one medium that has grown to become a vital provider of the necessary succour needed for television to thrive is the presence of online streaming services. Originally designed to provide viewers with easier access to their desired programming free from the interference of commercials, Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon, have been able to put forth shows of the quality capable of rivalling and eclipsing the prowess accomplished by their counterparts in Network, Basic, and Premium Cable. Possessing a creative freedom is in short supply at major studios and networks, outlets such as Netflix have become popular sites to explore new, innovative ways of crafting groundbreaking onscreen narratives.

Here are five of the top shows currently streaming on Netflix:

5. "Daredevil"

The first superhero drama from the MCU to stream on Netflix, "Daredevil" blew critics and viewers away with its gritty, realistic storytelling built on a well balanced mix of identifying as a hybrid between the procedural and action-adventure genres. The show is also laced with moments that are as sincere as they are human. Diehard marvel fans will unlikely forget the multifaceted depiction of Wilson Fisk/Kingpin by Vincent D'Onofrio. An effort that doubtlessly left many wondering how the Brooklyn native failed to garner an Emmy, let alone a nomination.

The second season may have encountered slight difficulties through introducing new characters in the form of The Punisher and Elektra, a move that opened a can of story lines the writers struggled to tie together. Nevertheless, the level of depth orchestrated within the shows plot and character development most certainly places in the company of its top-tiered superhero counterparts.

4. "House of Cards"

Airing back in 2013 as a reboot of the British hit series, Beau Willimon's "House of Cards" made a habit of breaking fourth walls long before Deadpool. Deceptive, playful, witty, and cynically humoured, Willimon's more sinister take on the political atmosphere in Washington stands as an elucidating antithesis to Aaron Sorkin's smash hit "The West Wing".

Although the storytelling and acting can seem largely uneven at times, what flaws that linger about are almost entirely masked by the masterful prowess of Kevin Spacey and Robin Wright. Boasting formidable chemistry as Frank and Claire Underwood, a Macbethesque couple hellbent on subduing all who stand in their way on their quest to obtain absolute power, Wright and Spacey have carried this political thriller to eight Golden Globe nominations -- winning twice.

3. "Jessica Jones"

To coincide with the agency prescribed concerning content and style, Netflix has also become medium that has given voice to aureus up and down the gender spectrum. In a business that is still predominantly influenced by masculine narratives, "Jessica Jones" stands as a resounding testament that women can do it to, and if not even better.

Created by Melissa Rosenburg, the second instalment from the MCU to appear on Netflix debuted to rapturous reviews. Darker than "Daredevil" and loaded with twists that make the series as psychologically traumatizing as it can be deceptive, audiences and critics praised the show for its ability to take on, and candidly depict heavy issues such as sexuality, rape, PTSD and assault through its neo-noir lens and tone. Coupled with strong performances from Kyrsten Ritter and David Tennant, "Jessica Jones" has been dubbed as the MCU's strongest showing on television to date.

2. "Stranger Things"

Debuting back in July 2016, "Stranger Things" was an immediate hit, becoming the third most watched show in Netflix behind "The Fuller House" and the fourth season of "Orange Is the New Black". Now, much like its sci-fi/horror/supernatural predecessors "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" and "The X-Files", the series has now attracted an enormous cult following.

But popularity aside, "Stranger Things" has also drawn attention for the level of its storytelling. Praised for its pacing, character development, writing, directing, and homage to 1980's genre films, the series became a throwback for critics and viewers who were fans of Steven Spielberg movies made during this period. A major runner up for Best Television Series at the Golden Globes, the success of "Stranger Things" also resulted in a nomination in the category of Best Actress in a Television series for Winona Ryder -- her first nomination since 1994.

1. "Crown"

With the television world caught up in the hype of "Stranger Things" and the never ending success of HBO's "Game of Thrones", "Crown" was deprived of much of the attention it deserved. A biographical piece capturing the life Queen Elizabeth II, "Crown" snuck up, and ripped the carpet out from beneath the feet "Game of Thrones", "Westworld", "Stranger Things" and "This Is Us" at the Golden Globes. Stealing awards for Best Television Drama and Best Actress in a Television Drama.

Written and shot with humanizing compassion enhanced by pitch perfect acting on the count of Claire Foy and John Lithgow, "Crown" stands as Netflix's crowning achievement among all its televisual endeavours to date.