My Top 5 Live Music Moments Of 2016

My Top 5 Live Music Moments Of 2016

I went through the 5 best live shows I saw this year, in chronological order.

10
My Top 5 Live Music Moments Of 2016
Las Vegas Sun

Muse Drones Tour

Every new Muse album explores an overall large theme. Whether it’s politics, aliens, or the end of the world, Matt Bellamy tends to always think outside the box. Their most recent endeavor, Drones, explores just that. And I certainly wasn't surprised to find actual drones flying around Barclays Center when I attended their show in January. I've been watching Muse's touring experience evolve since 2005, and this one was by far the most elaborate setup. Even though this tour didn’t contain giant towers for the band to play on or a moving pyramid, this show took these giant ideas and put them out for the audience to experience. For the first time, the band performed in the round, with giant translucent screens hanging down the middle of the arena. Muse always tends to play a great mix of songs from each album, and their show never disappoints. They are one of the most exciting acts in the world today, and one of the only rock bands left to sell out arenas and stadiums all over the world. The end of the show only left me with one question, which is always the same question after a Muse show: How are they going to top this one?

The Killers @ T-Mobile Arena / Midnight Show

Without a doubt, the most exciting event of 2016 for me was seeing The Killers in their hometown of Las Vegas. Vegas is woven into the DNA of the band and if you follow lead singer Brandon Flowers' lyrics, whether it’s with The Killers or his solo work, you understand its importance completely. Just driving around the strip or walking by street signs, you can hear songs coming to life at every corner. When The Killers were chosen to open the brand new T-Mobile Arena on the strip, I knew I had to be there. Little did I know that I would end up leaving that show to get a good spot for their 'Midnight Show' in Downtown Las Vegas, which they were playing shortly after their set at the new arena. This small gig was announced 2 songs into their arena show via the band’s twitter account. This show was at a small bar, which housed only a few hundred people. Fans flooded the bar, then right outside, then down the street, and so on. I stood right in front of Brandon's keyboard for their magnificent set, with a mix of hits and rarely played live fan favorites, all mixed together. It's hard to describe the feeling of seeing your musical heroes within arms length, with just their instruments and a few spotlights. It was raw and their talents had never shined brighter. As if I wasn't a big enough fan already, this show sealed the deal. I'll never forget that magical night.

Bruce Springsteen The River 35th Anniversary Tour

As a native of New Jersey, you’d think Springsteen would be part of my life since birth. However, I only really came to his music in my 20’s. It’s been a wonderful bonding experience with my mother, who’s been a fan forever. I was born and raised in the same part of Jersey as Bruce, so a lot of his music brings me a great sense of pride. I had only ever seen a Springsteen show at a large stadium. When the chance came to see him in the very “intimate” setting of an arena, I couldn’t pass it up. The show was a little different format, with the celebration of the 35th Anniversary of the album, The River. The E Street Band played the album in full, with interjections from Bruce explaining the time the album was written and meanings behind certain songs. It felt like a musical in a way, about a time period in a young man’s life. It was moving in a way I didn’t expect. Of course, it wouldn’t be a Bruce show if it weren’t lengthy. After The River was finished, Bruce played various hits and crowd pleasers, rounding out the almost 4-hour long show. To get such an intimate and honest experience out of one of the biggest names in music is very rare, and I feel more connected to his songs after that night. Another highlight of this show was the band opening the show with a tribute to the late great Prince with a moving rendition of “Purple Rain.”

Coldplay’s A Head Full of Dreams Tour

I’ve been attending Coldplay shows since I was 13. Over the past 15 years, I’ve watched them play a few songs at radio show concert all the way up to their current sold-out stadium tour. It’s been wonderful and inspiring to see them grow into what they’ve become today. My heart lies with the early days of Coldplay, but I still enjoy the thrill of seeing them live with Chris Martin’s infectious energy. This was a tough year, globally and personally. But, I found an escape in these shows. This album was about love and happiness. And the tour reflected that. One of the joys of Coldplay shows is the multiple stages they build around the venue. For an arena, this could mean the band will pop up in the seat next to you to play a few acoustic songs. In the stadium setting, the band created a stage at the opposite side of the main stage and did just the same. Each night brought out a fan request along with a few other rare tracks. The rest of the show usually consists of light up wristbands (Xylobands) for each audience member, along with neon confetti, lasers, and fireworks. It’s a great big party every night.

Radiohead’s A Moon Shaped Pool Tour

The last time I saw Radiohead was during their run of In Rainbows in 2008. So after 8 years and two albums, it’s fair to say, I was overdue. So long overdue, that I attended both Madison Square Garden shows in July. It was a brilliant 2 nights of new songs mixed with nostalgia. I’ve always admired Radiohead for creating this cult following early on in their career that’s carried through into the music culture of 2016. People appreciate their unique sound along with the beautiful moments from early albums that make their way into each night’s set. Seeing them live is a whole different experience. First of all, there are a lot of them, so they have the ability to create this big sound with so many different instruments. Watching Jonny Greenwood play guitar or Thom Yorke dance all over the stage is something that needs to be experienced in person. Every show brings out a different set, which is why it’s worth it to try and attend more than one. I was lucky enough to hear some rarely played live tracks such as, “Let Down” and “Creep.” It was a beautiful experience to see them two nights in a row. I’m already looking forward to their next tour.