Top 5 Indie Horror Films to Watch

Top 5 Indie Horror Films to Watch

In the midst of a crazy year it's best to take inventory of these spooky good titles

43
Top 5 Indie Horror Films to Watch
https://unsplash.com/photos/h3Oj7xroTyI

5. Trick r' Treat (2007)

A familiar and fun callback to the tales of ghouls and goblins, Trick r' Treat amplifies the campfire scary story to new heights. The film follows 4 different stories that are all occur Halloween night. Each story is loosely connected with one another through different characters. What makes Trick r' Treat so fun is how creative and original it is from its paranormal counterparts. Relying on more genuine building of tension and making characters meaningful. The pacing of the film is also impressive as it carefully balances out the four equally terrifying stories and wraps them together into one overarching plot. Finally, Trick r' Treat is a film that works on your simplest fears. Childhood fears like being in the dark, hearing strange noises and noticing unknown shadows all play a part in making it a worth while and inventive tale.

4. Evil Dead (1981)

Considered to be one of the pioneering films in paranormal horror Evil Dead is a cheesier but bloody good time. Following the misadventures of a group of teens, the group of friends stumbles upon a ancient book locked away in their vacation cabin. The Necronomicon Ex-Mortis, or the Book of the Dead, unleashes a hellish wave of undead and blood thirsty ghouls. The five try to escape the woods but soon fine that it is a struggle for survival. Among the survivors is Ash Williams the prevalent hero found in the next two films after it. Though the film is older it still holds a strong case for why simple is better. With unique and stylistic camera angles along with iconic lines the Evil Dead is a gore fest unlike any other. However, I do caution watching it on an full stomach.

3. The Ritual (2017)

Far from the typical American Indie horror films that audiences have come to expect, The Ritual is a unique and chilling film based on Nordic Mythology. The film follows four friends who set out on a hiking trip in Scandinavia. After finally reaching their destination the group is faced with a choice. Take the same path they came through to town or cut through the unknown wilderness. It wouldn't be a horror film without a bad decision. The friends elect to venture through the forest unaware of its landscape and secrets. What they ultimately find is a creature that feasts on the flesh and fear of its victims. Without saying too much The Ritual is a simple film that takes notes from that of "Blair witch" and films like "Evil Dead". It doesn't scare you by what it shows but rather by what it doesn't. The film also has a heartfelt story that can pluck at a couple of heart strings.

2. Halloween (1978)

Often considered the Grandfather of Slasher films, Halloween is the epitome of a successful and iconic indie horror film. I personally have a bias for this film not only for its achievement in filmmaking but also who it continues to inspire. It is because of Halloween that Indie Horror has become popular and why it continues to scare modern viewers. The film's plot is simple. A silent stalker returns home on the night of Halloween to unleash hell and bloodshed on the teenagers of Haddonfield, Illinois. John Carpenter, who is synonymous with the popularity of the film, revolutionized horror. First person camera angles, the illusion of shapes and shadows, no music, and the evil natural of a silent killer. Halloween has set the standard that few slasher films have been able to fill. The themes and atmosphere of the film are so recognizable that most viewers who are not film fans can still tell who goes bump in the night. I highly recommend Halloween for an awesome horror film marathon.

Honorable Mention- What we do in the Shadows (2014)

One of the few films on this list that isn't seriously nor very scary, What we do in the Shadows is a hilariously good time as it looks into the rather boring existence of three vampire flatmates. In the country of New Zealand vampires run amuck trying to cope with the modern world. With technology changing faster than their fashion trend the three are filmed and interviewed in anticipation for the "Unholy Masquerade". A huge party where the undead come together and celebrate. Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi craft a expansive and ridiculous world that is both charming and funny. What we do in the shadows will leave you balling from laughter for the unusual but fascinating look at what vampires might do.

1. The Babadook (2014)

Yup, this should come as no surprise if you follow indie films. The Babadook follows a mother who must cope with the violent death of her husband. During this time she is still making sense of a shadowy figure that is torturing her poor son. But as all things go she soon finds that maybe indeed there is a boogieman. The Babadook does what other horror films do not. It puts the emotion and characters before the monster. The monster or "The Babadook" simply acts as a invisible force that slowly tries to tear the family apart. Besides that he's a terrifying creature that hides in the shadows and behind characters. He is that uncertainty that we all feel when we hear a noise or turn the lights off. The important take away from the film is that it doesn't try that hard to scare you. What scares most viewers is its ability to make you uneasy at all times. Instead of relying on cheap scares. All that being said The Babadook is fantastic viewing experience for a party or friend get-to-together.