Top 5 Halal Food Places Near UIC

Top 5 Halal Food Places Near UIC

Did someone say...halal....cheeseburger?!?!

530
Top 5 Halal Food Places Near UIC

As a college kid, majority of my time throughout the day is spent either eating or sleeping. Personally, I spend more time eating, and I have absolutely no shame in admitting that. Now, as a Muslim college kid, I realized the importance of having halal food options on or around campus after establishing that I’d rather eat a double gyro cheeseburger anyday over a vegetarian alternative. ANY. DAY. So, if you’re a hungry Muslim kid like me, keep reading.

1. Jubranos

Jubranos is the classic halal food joint located on Taylor St. Everyone and their mom come to Jubs for a good ol’ gyro cheeseburger or a chipotle chicken wrap. Wings, shawarma, burgers, wraps, you name it. Jubs has been the mecca for halal food at UIC for years; even the native Chicago rapper, Lupe Fiasco, used to hit up Jubs with MSA members back in the day. The food is amazing, the workers are really nice, and it’s only a few bus stops away from campus. My favorite thing to order is – you've probably already figured out – the spicy double gyros cheeseburger. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. CHEESEBURGERS.

2. Mr. Broast

Mr. Broast recently replaced Taylor Food Mart (TFM) on Taylor St. This restaurant, most famously known for their delicious zinger burger, used their smarts and opened their fourth location in the perfect area; where hungry Muslim kids infest the area left and right, hoping to find some halal food to inhale before they sprint to their next class. Because of its proximity to campus, Mr. Broast has got to be on the top of your list! My favorite thing to order is OBVIOUSLY the zinger burger. #basic Make sure you support this new restaurant and taste some yummy burgers!

3. UB Dogs

I’ve been to many halal burger places my whole life, and I’ve come down to one conclusion: UB Dogs has the best burgers. Ever. If anyone ever asks me to go to UB Dogs with them, I’ll never turn them down. Their char burgers are the most perfect things I’ve ever tasted; they're juicy and they're cooked perfectly. The only cons about UB Dogs is that it closes at 3 p.m., so if you're ever craving a really good burger in the evening, you won’t be able to fulfil your craving here. Also, it's not walking distance, and you need to rely on public transportation to get there, especially if you don't have a car on campus. My favorite thing to order is OBVIOUSLY the double char burger. You get to choose your toppings, so play around with it and find what you like best!

F.Y.I: only beef burgers are halal here!

4. Max’s Take Out

Max’s oh Max’s. Max’s is a gem that’s hidden between a nail studio and Devon Financial Services in downtown. This joint is famously known for their Chicago dogs, which, I must say, are DELICIOUS. I have no shame in admitting that I ordered and inhaled two Chicago Dogs and then ended up eating half of my sister’s chicken burger. F.Y.I – you need to tell the workers that you’re ordering off of the halal menu because they do sell non-halal items. My favorite things to order are the double gyro cheeseburger and the Chicago dog. Don’t forget to order up a side of cheese fries because they’re the absolute BEST complements. Mmmmm!

5. Ghareeb Nawaz

Now many people may disagree with me, but I think Ghareeb is an amazing restaurant. Located at the intersection of Roosevelt and Halsted, this gem is the perfect place for a broke college kid who’s trying to get full AND eat good Pakistani food. For four dollars, you can order a big portion of chili chicken with a HUGE, warm paratha. And when I mean huge, I mean huge. The food is delicious, and it keeps me full for hours, and that never happens. If you’re on a budget, be sure to check out Ghareeb. My favorite thing to order is the chili chicken paratha roll OR the butter chicken. Mmmmmmmmmmmm. Pakistani food. <3