Favorite Pixar Films of All Time

Top 5 Favorite Pixar Films That You Must See

These are my all time favorite films from the house with the hopping lamp.

44
YouTube.com

With the release of "Incredibles 2" in theaters, I thought now would be the best time to discuss some of my favorite films from one of my favorite animation studios. Pixar has given us so many creative and emotional childhood classics that it was hard for me to narrow it down to just five. However, these are the films that have stayed with me on an emotional level long after originally seeing them, so without further ado, lets's get started.

1. "The Incredibles" (2004)

NME.com

An animated film revolving around a family of superheroes that's directed by the same person who directed one of my all time favorite films, "The Iron Giant"; how could I not love this. In all seriousness, "The Incredibles" is a fun adventure film with exciting action and a unique aesthetic that mixes scifi with the unique 1950s art deco one would find in many comics at the time.

More importantly, the film follows a likable and memorable family of superheroes that deals with themes involving mid-life crises, focusing on the present rather than the past, and how society tries to force those with unique gifts into mundanity due to fear or jealousy. It's a film that's always fun to watch and always fun to quote ("Where is my super suit?)

2. "WALL-E" (2008)

TheVerge.com

I remember seeing "WALL-E" when it first came out in theaters and I remember the lasting impression it left on me as a young adult. The film deals with a lot of heavy real world issues such as pollution, hyper capitalism, the negative effects of over-reliance on automation, and loss of human purpose. However, at the heart of the film is a simple love story between two robots.

This is why the film gets it's message across so effectively. The film remembers to make a good story with likable characters first and then add themes and messages around that (something a lot of message films get wrong). The film's simplicity and reliance on visual storytelling over dialog for a lot of the film is also why I love it on a purely film making level. It's a well scripted and beautifully animated scifi film that everyone should see.

3. "Coco" (2017)

Quillstreak.com

You know when you've seen a great Pixar film when you cry at least once during the film. This is the case with "Coco" a film that left my cheeks wet as I left the theater. The film is a beautiful love letter to Mexican culture, heritage, and the importance of family in a young person's life. The film's use of intricate Mexican art styles and vibrant colors help visually elevate these themes.

On a personal level, the film deals with a grandmother character going through Dementia/Alzheimer's. I also had a grandmother who dealt with Alzheimer's and the film does an excellent job portraying how heartbreaking it can be when a person you love doesn't even remember who you are. This film was one of my favorites from 2017 and I hope you all get the chance to see it.

4. "Up" (2009)

CenterForCreativeMedia.com

"Up" is a creatively crafted adventure film that follows an elderly man and a young boy scout as he floats his house on thousands of balloons to South America. If that wasn't strange enough for you the film also has a giant bird and a talking dog. While the film dazzles us with it's creativity and adventure, it still remembers that human emotion is what should motivate a character we like.

As I said before, a great Pixar movie makes you cry at least once, and "Up" has a real tear jerker of a scene. The "Married Life" montage goes through the lives of two people living a simple life, filled with the happiness and heartbreak that comes with it, from the time they are married to the time one of them passes away from old age. "Up" is not only one of my favorite Pixar films, but one of my favorite films, period.

5. "Toy Story" Trilogy (1995, 1999, 2010)

DenOfGeek.com

I know it's technically cheating to put three films in the number one spot, but I couldn't bring myself to separate them. They're multiple parts of one whole story and that story involves the connection between a boy and his toys, and how those living toys come to terms with the fact that he's growing up. Their existence as toys hinges on the ability to be played, it's what gives them meaning, and what happens what the person you grew up with has to leave you and move on?

The series carries heavy themes surrounding mortality throughout, but I also put this at number one for personal reasons. "Toy Story" was on of the first films I ever saw in theaters, and the films and characters remained an important part of my childhood since. When "Toy Story 3" came out after an 11 year wait, you can bet I had a massive emotional nostalgia trip while watching the film. This is why the "Toy Story" films are my favorite Pixar films.