Top Five Day Trips From Newark

Top Five Day Trips From Newark

Here are some fun day trips to make a college town summer more fun!

1005
Top Five Day Trips From Newark

Day trips are great for many reasons. They aren't too far away so there is minimal planning involved, and they let you explore a part of your region that is totally different than the everyday lifestyle you live, not to mention they can be easier on your wallet than a full-fledged getaway!

In order of closeness, here are the top five day trip drives from Newark, Delaware:

1. Philadelphia (52 miles)

Home of die-hard sports fans, cheesesteaks and freedom, Philadelphia is known for many things. This past weekend people came hundreds and thousands of miles to spend the Fourth of July in the birthplace of America. What people fly for, we have in our own backyard. Visit South Street for the world's best cheesesteaks or go to Penn's Landing Pier to watch the sunset and catch an open air concert. Chestnut and Walnut street are home to fabulous boutiques and major retailers, and if you head just a little north you can see the steps "Rocky" was filmed on. Watch the Phillies or a pre-season Eagles game from the tailgate, Xfinity Live or the stands! Options are endless for a fun-filled day in Philly.

2. Baltimore (63 miles)

Inner Harbor, National Aquarium and the Chesapeake Bay are some of Baltimore's finest and biggest tourist attractions. If you're in the mood for sea creatures, on your plate or in the water, you have come to the right place. Home to some of the best crabs straight from the bay, you cannot go wrong with seafood in Baltimore. With D.C. close by, many neglect this waterfront town. Charm City is its nickname, and it won't disappoint.

3. Rehoboth Beach (86 miles)

Many think Delaware is a tiny state, especially if you're an out-of-towner. But behold, there is more to it than UD. Rehoboth Beach is home to beautiful boardwalks and beaches as well as outlets! Tax-free shopping is also an added plus! Rehoboth is the closest beach to Newark. With only a three-hour round trip drive, it is the perfect day trip if you're looking for some fun in the sun. Lounge on the beach or rent a jet ski and go ride in the waves. P.S. if you're over 21, Dogfish Head brewery is conveniently located.

4. Annapolis (85 miles)

Rich in history, Annapolis is the waterside town we forget. When people hear Annapolis what comes to mind is the United States Naval Academy. Before I went, I thought it took up the whole city. Turns out it doesn't, and while it might be on tight security lockdown sometimes, it's very friendly to visitors wanting to take a peek inside. They are also known for having the most 18th-century buildings in America! If cobblestone streets and quaint pubs are what you're looking for on vacation this is the place for you.

5. Washington, D.C. (95 miles)

Last, but certainly not least, our nation's capital. Home to all things history, you sure won't run out of knowledge here. There is a museum for everyone. If being outdoors is more your things, in the summer they have movie nights in the park overlooking the Potomac River. All of the national monuments are also lit up at night for great late night strolls. If you want to class it up a bit, take a drive over to the Kennedy Center to see a concert or performing arts show. Maybe, if you're lucky, you'll get to see the President!