The Top 5 Comic Book Movies of 2017

The Top 5 Comic Book Movies of 2017

These movies are gonna pack a punch (get it?)

24
The Top 5 Comic Book Movies of 2017

Over the past ten years, weekend trips to the movie theatre have been taken over by superheroes. If seems like these comic book flicks are coming around more and more, it’s because they are. We used to be treated to two, maybe three of these movies a year, but in 2017, Marvel Studios will release three movies alone, not to mention others from DC and Fox. With so many comic book movies coming out this year, let's look at the top five comic book movies you should see in 2017.

5. Logan (release date: March 3, 2017)

Logan is the latest chapter in the ongoing X-Men saga from Fox. The film will see Hugh Jackman play the iconic role of Wolverine one last time before moving on to other projects. Jackman has played Wolverine for the better part of the last seventeen years, so he’s sure to want to go out with a bang. It looks like this is the case, as critics have already praised the film for not only its story, but also it’s willingness to embrace a true R-rating. Logan is the only film that will actually be out during the publication of this article, so if you have to scratch that superhero itch, Logan’s your guy.

4. Guardians of the Galaxy, Vol. 2 (release date: May 5, 2017)

The next chapter in the rag-tag team known as Guardians of the Galaxy hits theaters this May, and if it follows in its predecessor’s footsteps, the film has the chance to be the biggest critical success of the year. The previous installment was a runaway hit for Marvel Studios, so hopes are high for the sequel. Chris Pratt reprises his role as Star-Lord, the closest thing to a leader our Guardians actually have. Pratt’s charisma is more than enough to get people excited, but the addition of legendary actors like Sylvester Stallone and Kurt Russell adds even more depth to an already proven cast. Dave Bautista is one to watch as well. The former WWE-champion and MMA fighter’s excellent performance as Drax was a pleasant surprise during the last film, and current trailer-footage promises to be even better. Oh, and the soundtrack is sure to be killer.

3. Wonder Woman (release date: June 2, 2017)

Gal Gadot reprises her role as Wonder Woman for this self-titled film that looks to be half origin story, half set-up. The set-up, of course, is for the upcoming Justice League film this fall, where Gadot will team up with other DC heroes including Batman, Aquaman and the Flash. The movie seems to be a bit of a departure from previous films in the DC universe, taking place nearly a century in the past during World War I. Director Patty Jenkins will look to introduce modern moviegoers to this classic hero by weaving an origin story through a war film, an idea that is both intriguing and a bit risky. The contrast created between the grizzly battlefield of war and our favorite Amazonian warrior should make for some fun and interesting moments.

2. Justice League (release date: November 17, 2017)

Justice League is DC Films’ answer to the moneymaking machine that is The Avengers franchise. While previous DC films have not received the critical praise most fans were hoping for, the promise of seeing Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, the Flash and many more DC characters all on the same screen is a mouth watering thought for any comic-book fan. Ben Affleck will once again dawn the cowl to play Batman, the apparent architect in the formation of one of the most famous super-groups in existence. Affleck, along with many other fellow cast members, has promised the film will be much lighter in tone and offer some much needed levity as opposed to last years critical flop, Batman v. Superman. Justice League looks to be the reset the DC Film universe needs to steer towards a brighter future.

1. Spider-Man: Homecoming (release date: July 7, 2017)

This might be a biased pick, but Spider-Man is still definitely worthy of a number one spot. Acting as a hard-reset for the Spider-Man character, this film will aim to give some background on the Marvel Cinematic Universe’s web-slinger that was introduced in 2016’s Captain America: Civil War. While some fans may be upset at the loss of Andrew Garfield and Sony’s The Amazing Spider-Man franchise, this move is definitely one for the best in terms of the Spider-Man character. Regardless of your opinion on either of the older Spider-Man franchises, seeing Marvel’s wall-crawler next to heroes like Iron Man as well as the promise of future team up in later Avenger sequels is something any true fan of Spider-Man is dying to see. Tom Holland seems to have excellent command of the character, and having such an amazing actor in Michael Keaton to play off of as a villain should bring even more star power out of the young actor. Spider-Man hits theaters this summer and has the potential to be one of the biggest movies of the year.