My Top 5 Albums Turning 10 Years Old

My Top 5 Albums Turning 10 Years Old

Whether revisiting the classics or discovering the underdogs, these are the best gems from 2006.

40
My Top 5 Albums Turning 10 Years Old
Gigwise

The early 2000’s were a great time for music. Most of the artists I listen to were formed during these years, and not to mention the timeless albums they produced. I’m taking a journey back 10 years to revisit my top five personal favorite albums that changed my world. Join me in wishing a Happy Birthday to some obvious classics, or even some underdogs you may not have heard of.

1. Belle and Sebastian – The Life Pursuit

Released February 7, 2006

The return of Belle and Sebastian! It had been thre years since their successful album, Dear Catastrophe Waitress. I loved their sound from the very beginning. It wasn’t your typical indie rock band, with influences from all over the map and every kind of instrument you could think of. They were unique and made up of what seemed like a small army of musicians. As I anxiously awaited their new album release, I had the same thought that runs through everyone’s mind when a great band release an equally great album: will the next release live up? And thankfully, it did. The Life Pursuit remains one of my favorite Belle and Sebastian albums, full of hits that unfortunately rarely ever make it to radio. Lead singer, Stuart Murdoch, is an incredible storyteller. Each album brings up a cast of characters, beautiful love songs, failures, and successes. My favorite track is called, “Funny Little Frog.” You can’t help but dance when that song comes on. It will pull you out of any funk you’re in. This album, and every album since, has continuously restored my faith in Belle and Sebastian. Here’s to their next, undoubtedly, hit record!

2. Muse – Black Holes and Revelations

Released July 3, 2006

It’s safe to say Muse was my favorite band in 2006. Waiting for this album to come out felt like an eternity. The band had a full play of the album up on MySpace before its release, and that occupied most of my time. Songs like “Knights of Cydonia” and “Starlight” blew me away. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. Muse is a band that continues to reinvent their sound and I love them for it. I’ll pretty much go along with anything Matt Bellamy does, and I’ve accepted that. Not to mention they are three of the best musicians I have ever heard or seen live. After this album came out, I was dying to see their concert, which happened a year later at Madison Square Garden. It was my first arena experience with Muse and they did not disappoint. Three giant movable pillars stood on the stage, for each musician. The songs were electrifying, and continue to be some of the best moments of a Muse live show. My favorite track off the album is, “Map of the Problematique,” however the video for “Knights of Cydonia” is a classic.

3. The Veils – Nux Vomica

Released September 18, 2006

For me, nothing can top The Veils album, The Runaway Found. But I was not disappointed with Nux Vomica. With Finn Andrews unique voice and beautiful lyrics, you can’t really ever go wrong. Not to give MySpace another plug, but I specifically remember some tracks off this album welcoming visitors to my page. I would call The Veils one of my “foundation bands,” as they were one of the original bands in my early indie rock discovery days. This album was in heavy rotation and is always great to revisit time and time again. My favorite track off this album is called, “A Birthday Present,” but the video for “Advice for Young Mothers to Be” is everything.

4. Ben Kweller – Self Titled

Released September 19, 2006

I’ve always been a fan of Ben Kweller and I personally think that this release is his best. The songs are so well crafted. During the making of this album, Ben released short clips of the process on an internet show he called, “One Minute Pop Song. I really enjoy when an artist lets us into their world and shows all the moving parts that make up the album. I was particularly impressed with how Ben played every instrument on the album, so it’s really fitting that he named the album after himself. His stories are very personal, as well as every note. I think Ben writes some of the sweetest love songs ever. My favorite off this album is called, “Sundress,” with the video featuring his beautiful wife, Liz.

5. The Killers – Sam’s Town

Released October 2, 2006

Anyone who knows me at all, knows that The Killers are my world. But in 2006, they were just another band (I can hear the collective gasp). I was a casual fan who liked the hits. I remember buying a physical copy of Sam’s Town, probably at a Best Buy or FYE. I really enjoyed the record, especially “When You Were Young.” To this day, that song is timeless. Even though I wasn’t a hardcore fan back then, it was definitely a high school record for me. Listening to it takes me right back to being 17. However, once I became a dedicated fan, Sam’s Town took on a whole new meaning. It’s one of the only records I can listen to all the way through and not want to skip a song. It stands the test of time. Each track reminds me of a certain memory. It feels very personal and universal at the same time. My favorite track today is “Read My Mind." From the minute it starts, I feel like everything is going to be alright.